1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Priceless Note From Vaccaro In 5/22 NYP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, May 22, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"You would have to say that it's (a) good break for the cocktail-glass-sized cognoscenti of
    the local sporting press that the cable service in New Canaan, Connecticut is always
    apparently crystal-clear."

Hilarious.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I saw that also and was trying to figure out proper placement on SJ. You have taken care of it.

I wonder who he is talking about.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can't imagine.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Was there any particular piece that prompted the note today as opposed to another week? I am sure it is a solid observation at any time, but I wonder if there was something that rubbed Vaccaro the wrong way recently.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Vaccaro has dropped digs at Lupica in columns before. He's also said (somewhere, I don't think the column) that sparring with Loopy, and seeing the caricature that he has become, makes him sad b/c he remembers when he idolized him and when he was great.

Thanks to attrition and the migration of talent to the web, being the best newspaper sports columnist in the NYC area today is a lot like being the tallest midget, but the work Vaccaro is doing now would earn him the title on merit in any era.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What makes you think it's Lupica?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lupica lives in New Canaan.

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/contributor.jsp?id=165146

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Steak, you put far too much effort into that. :D

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

BYH: Thank you for identifying the target as Lupica for those of us who are cognoscenti only of goings-on in the Adirondack foothills.

The Post is the perfect size for Sunday laundry reading.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Wait. To apply the Ebersol Doctrine, how do you KNOW Loopy's a jerk? Did you SEE him not being nice to someone. Then how do you KNOW?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anyone who has been covering professional sporting events in the past 20 years would answer yes to that question.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes but maybe you only CAUGHT HIM ON A BAD DAY and are UNFAIRLY IMPUGNING his character in an ANONYMOUS FASHION.

Draft saved Draft deleted