1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pretty major gaffe in this week's SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 26, 2010.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Another hint: You probably meant Roy Halladay. But we get the point.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm sure the misspelling of Halladay was intentional.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It was his way of giving you a hint to the error. Though it would have worked better if he had used Ray Halladay.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

They also had Jose Uribe hitting the HR as the caption to the picture. Are their editors sports fans?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Starting to look like there were a few other gaffes in feel good Cam Newton story that Lars Anderson wrote in SI. Wonder if he heard the whispers when researching story.

6. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

The 2001 Miami backfield probably wins it in my book.

One of note that could turn into something is 2007 Arkansas. Everyone knows Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. What many don't know is that Peyton Hillis was a fullback on that team. Considering Hillis' and McFadden's breakouts in the NFL this year they could join the conversation. Especially if Jones can ever stay healthy. He does have a great average so far in his career but he's as strong as a toothpick to this point.

As for the real topic of this thread ... someone mentioned Bill Simmons earlier and I think he is the real culprit. Not that it is really his fault (ESPN *cough, cough*) but his soaring popularity caused a huge shift. The internet blog boom coincided with his rise so maybe the shift occurred without his help and is the reason he became so big but he has become the prime example of the shift/down fall in sports reporting.

7. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Just goes to show how much of a tabloid ESPN is. They don't fact check at all. They will run any story. If it is published anywhere else they take it as fact rather than checking on their own and many times, in an effort to be first, will use their anonymous sources to back up breaking stories. If you pay attention you see they are wrong quite a bit on breaking stories where anonymous sources is all they have. Makes me think that they sometimes (no telling how often) just make it up in the cases that it is very plausible to be true. If they are wrong no one really cares and they just blame it on the anonymous source providing bad information. How often do you see their breaking stories change because they are hearing new information from a different anonymous source?

Draft saved Draft deleted