1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pretty major gaffe in this week's SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just started this book last night. It also references "Doak Walker of TCU".

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Speaking of Auburn:

Joe Cribbs and James Brooks
    Bo Jackson and Brent Fullwood

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Add Lionel James to the Jackson/Fullwood backfield.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Getting back to the original topic, not to shit on SI further, but I saw a pretty big misspelling in the issue as well on something that's much more common knowledge. In the college football story, there was a reference to the Wisconsin band playing a song made famous by "Budwesier".

5. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Don't forget Floyd Little and Larry Csonka at Syracuse in the mid-'60s. Two Pro Football Hall of Famers.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Add Tom Coughlin to that backfield

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's to the point where it'd be easier to post a thread when SI pulls off an entire issue without a glaring, silly mistake like this. Is the college feature even on a tight deadline? You'd think there are several sets of eyes who (theoretically) read that before it's punched.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Maybe they do it on purpose ...

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=howard/101105

"So all of a sudden, the Cam Newton redemption story and the Cam Newton national championship chase story and the stirring tale of how Auburn quarterback Cam Newton could be the first-ever junior college transfer to win the Heisman Trophy are all in danger of being re-cast from something unique into one of the hoariest clichés in college football: the dirty recruitment story."

First sentence of story.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

See page 33 of this week's SI, with Giants celebrating on cover. Right column---reference made to 1956 NY Yankees pitching rotation of Whitey Ford, Dan Larsen, Tom Sturdivant, Bob Turley and Johnny Kucks.

What's wrong with this picture?

Hint: Roy Holladay's playoff no-hitter last month.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Don Larsen? sorry, don't have the mag in front of me.

12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I read right over it. Another mistake for SI. Do they do corrections in the magazine? I haven't seen one for the Heisman reference.

Draft saved Draft deleted