1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pretty major gaffe in this week's SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's the Bill Simmons world we live in where mistakes no longer matter. It just seems lazy and unacceptable for such an organization as SI to have these mistakes. To some they may seem trivial but to me they are not.

Just finished an SI book - Sweat & Chalk: The Ultimate Football Playbook: How the Great Coaches Built Today's Game by Tim Layden it details the geneses of many of the popular offenses and defenses. Very interesting book but came across a few errors.

Chapter on Buddy Ryan 46 D had a diagram of the formation - looked good except it was backwards.

Same chapter they talked about D that Buddy used when he coached the Jets. All good but they wrote that Larry Grantham was his middle linebacker - Jets know it was Al Atkinson.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought Barry Sanders was a Juco transfer. I very well may be wrong.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not according to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

Anyway, jeez, I forgot that Sanders was a BACKUP to Thurman Thomas at OSU for a while. Had to have been of the best college backfields ever.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't know that O.J. Simpson is the only JuCo transfer to win the Heisman, just that Cam Newton wouldn't be the first.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Lars Anderson has been around for a long time. Probably didn't think about the Juice, because he's heavily associated with USC.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if that's the best. It might be.

Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams wasn't a bad backfield either.

7. Boom_70

I would vote for Charles White and Marcus Allen. Doc Blanchard and Glen Davis might draw some votes also.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We are to SI what the little old retired English teachers are to newspapers nationwide.

Execpt, none of us have probably actually called SI.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Not go crazily off topic.
    Notre Dame circa 1991...Jerome Bettis, Ricky Watters, Raghib Ismael, Dorsey Levens, Reggie Brooks.

10. Boom_70

And Rodney Culver

Also Eric Dickerson and that other dickhead

Sam Cunningham/ Anthony Davis then Ricky Bell / Anthony Davis at SC

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

2001 Miami had Clinton Portis and Frank Gore, right? Probably a few other first-rounders too.

Of course, Miami's entire depth chart that year has been to a Pro Bowl.

12. Boom_70

I would vote for the Melvin Bratton / Alonzo Highsmith combo at the U

Draft saved Draft deleted