1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pretty cool series by Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 29, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is admittedly more interesting to a track person, but I thought the treatment of this part of the series was pretty cool:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/sports/profiles-in-speed/strategy/

And so were the first parts of the series itself as you click through it.

Obviously a resource issue for many, but when you've got them, you can do some pretty interesting things.

Part I ran in February, and last part will run this summer. Amy Shipley did a good job of writing and reporting it too.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

A series called Profiles in Speed takes on a different connotation at newspapers in the South.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, would obviously be about SEC football. :)

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'm a track nut and that was awesome...the graphic was simple and informative...great insight into the race played out so anyone could understand it.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

I'm a track nut too, but thought this particular piece was oversimplified to the point of being obvious.

There are a million snags that happen in a race to derail one's strategy. I'd rather know how he gets out of a boxed-in situation, or how he decides when to respond (or not) to a surge. Is he watching his splits and sticking to them or not?

How you solve problems while running that fast is really what distinguishes winners from also-rans (so to speak).

imo

That said, there were previous pieces in the series that I thought were great. And Amy Shipley is a five-star reporter.

Draft saved Draft deleted