1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presser quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dangerous_K, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if it is a statement released by the school and you quote the coach from that? Would you just say that the coach said it, or would you say that it's from a statement?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I would agree that "said in a statement" would be appropriate there. I think it clues the reader in to the fact that, you know, some PR wonk probably wrote this.

But as far as standard quotes from a presser or something ... I don't think it's necessary to say where a person happened to be standing when they said such and such. Or whether they were on the phone or not. It certainly isn't wrong. But I don't think it's required, either.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would add said in a conference call or press conference (or maybe told reporters) if I wasn't actually there. Otherwise, I'd skip it -- unless it was important -- like a coach got into it with someone.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I agree that I'd prefer to avoid quotes I didn't hear with my own ears. No question.

If it's something I HAVE to use from a presser somewhere else, and I can be absolutely sure it was said in a room full of reporters -- as in, from a podium in a press conference -- I see no reason to get into the particulars.

"The BCS is a damn joke," Stoops said.

Most of the time, that would be fine, IMO. To me, if Stoops said this at this weekly presser, it's fair game for public consumption. Even if you were in a newsroom in Stanley, Idaho -- and nowhere near Norman, Okla., -- when you heard it. It's no different than if he said it in my living room.

Now if it's something that you can't be 100 percent sure is public property -- if there's even a remote chance it might have stemmed from some other reporter's one-on-one -- I'd attribute it to the source from whence it came. ... "told the Daily Oklahoman" or something.

As for conference calls, pretty much all the ones I deal with have a replay number/web site. So you can hear everything with your own ears, even if you miss the live call. No need for "said in a teleconference."

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I should have clarified: If you heard the quote, I don't think the reader needs attribution.

6. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Thanks again for all the great input. I went with "said in Monday's press conference" on first attribution, then just "said" thereafter.

Draft saved Draft deleted