1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pressbox romance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Dec 15, 2006.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

SMG interviews Susan Slusser
    makes me wonder: is it better to marry within the business?

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/12142006-SusanSlusser.asp

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

the highest-profile coupling has to be judy battista (NY times/nfl) and anthony mccarron (NY daily news, baseball).

3. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

It's hard for someone working a 9-to-5, Monday through Friday job to understand a lot of what goes on in our business.

They never have to cancel plans at the last minute because a coach got fired or a quarterback got arrested. They don't have to work every Saturday from August to December. They don't take phone calls at home at 11 p.m. They don't miss the kids swim meet or dance recital to cover a game. They don't disappear on multiple trips a year.

My wife, on the other hand, is in the business. She covers a demanding beat (not sports) at a large paper, and as such has pretty much all of the same demands my job does. So sometimes I cover for her, and sometimes she covers for me. There's a balance in the relationship that would be hard to achieve with someone outside the business.

We just had a baby on Monday. On Dec. 26, I'll be off to the Rose Bowl for a week. A friend of mine who works for a major magazine commented to me that his wife would cut his balls off if he tried to do that. My wife, on the other hand, knew that such things were part of the deal when we got married. In September or so, she had to go to Texas for a week to work on a story and I stayed home with our kids. Now, would she prefer I were home? Absolutely. Heck, I'd prefer to be home. But neither of us ever wanted to be 9-to-5 people and we share a love for journalism and a belief that the enjoyment we get from it far outweighs the um, unique pressures, it puts on family life.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Excellent post, Jim, and congrats on the baby!

What in the hell happened around here last March? That's at least three...

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

high profile: lesley visser and dick stockton

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the baby. Enjoy them while they're young.

Isn't Mike Freeman married to someone from USA Today?

30 years and my wife still wonders what she got into marrying someone in this business. If I had a buck for everything I've missed, we'd all be in Tahiti right now.
    My daughter's favorite story is how I broke a decent story - during her 16th birthday dinner at a nice restaurant. She ordered for me and everything, telling the waiter "don't mind him, we do this a lot." Her only rule was I put the phone down and actually eat when the food came.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Not to threadjack, but is anyone else seeing the ad for www.websupergoo.com? :)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There is Jennifer and Mac Engel in Fort Worth.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i don't count them. only print folks need apply.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

they're mentioned in the interview with susan.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

my wife worked in p.r. for the old usfl and then worked for mlb. she thought sportswriters were all scum when she met me. almost 21 years later, her opinion hasn't changed much. ;D ;D ;D

actually, she refused to go out with me when i asked her at a usfl owners meeting. but then she checked with a former usfl colleague who had also married a sportswriter buddy of mine and she encouraged her to give me a shot.

20-plus years, three boys and many interrupted holidays, birthdays and anniversaries later, we're still happy. at least i am.

it helps that she somewhat understands the business -- which isn't saying there's not a lot to resent. the plusses out-weigh the minuses. i'm a big believer in being happy in your work makes for a happy home life.

i'm sorry. was this a mini-threadjack?

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

on the other hand, getting a job in this business is tough. it's even tougher if you won't move unless your spouse also gets a job at the next paper. if your spouse is a teacher, lawyer, accountant or person who is willing to do any type of job, it can be much easier to move around, assuming the spouse isn't too attached to her particular job.

Draft saved Draft deleted