1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press parking at Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Apr 2, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The male talent doesn't.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You need to go work for a week on news side and begin to understand what being a reporter is all about.

Maybe AIG's PR department will arrange a series of interviews for you with the people who worked on risk management? Then maybe they'll buy lunch for you and set you up with some work space in one the company's conference rooms. If you want to see some of the company file's, just ask and someone will bring them over.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Stunned that this is such a big argument.

Can't remember the last time a Toronto team offered free parking.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Get beyond the Yanks -- you are missing the point -- the point is this is going on all around the country in sports from pro's to (yes) high schools and what it is basically doing is simple -- it is making it impossible for the little guys, the guys who have budget issues (or very little budget) to continue to cover stuff and thus it is cutting down the number of voices we have and the number of eyes we have acting as watch dog.

It is creating a monopoly in which, only outlets with substantial cash can afford to cover stuff and thus, the home team web-sites and conference web-sites -- the ones which are always self-serving -- are starting to carry a much stronger voice in every community.

It is not a good development on any level.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. zagoshe

Now you are just being stupid. You are also comparing apples to oranges.

First of all please show me where I said the Yankees or anyone else should/will throw open all of their files for me?

I simply said access to the players and managers to do your basic job every day is a basic part of the agreement which exists between media and leagues.

I don't need access to the clubhouse to investigate the Yankees finances. I do need access to the clubhouse to ask Andy Petitte about his arm issues or his curve ball or his five consecutive wins or his shut out.

6. cranberry

What agreement? And why should media have an "agreement" with a private entity that it covers?

7. zagoshe

Are you this dumb?

We give you access, you cover us, warts and all......

That's how it works - stop trying to compare sports franchises -- which operate in a completely different atmosphere under completely different sets of rules -- to corporations.

They are different, they are public, they are shared by the public.

Government entities don't have parades when AIG has the best year of any financial institution in the country, and for good reason.

You are trying to compare apples and oranges and it is not working, it just makes me think you really are just a fan boy.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Like I said, I agree with your overall point, but smaller papers probably have no business covering the Yankees. I'm sure their priorities are arranged in such a way that covering the Yanks is a perk on their own dime.

For the bigger papers....either pay for parking, find another way to the stadium or don't cover 'em. Them's the rules, it seems.

And if high schools or colleges are charging for this kind of stuff....well, shame on them.

9. zagoshe

I think we basically agree -- but the one thing I am trying to make clear -- it is not the Yankees charging for parking as much as it is "what is the motivation and where does this stop?" -- and it is not about big paper or small paper or papers exclusively -- it is about the number of eyes and ears who are able to keep a watch over what is going on.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And Elliotte, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Leafs charge for internet access or was that just something that was proposed?

11. cranberry

There should never be such an agreement in the first place (as I explained about 10 posts ago). It places the legitimate media in a compromised situation.

And sports franchises are private entities, regardless of whether you think they shouldn't be considered as such.

And the fact is that local governments work hard to attract all sorts of companies, which is why all manner of private company -- not just sports -- are offered subsidies and tax breaks to relocate to a municipalities every day.

Again, you need to go over to news side for a week and begin to understand how journalism works in the real world.

12. zagoshe

Offering tax subsidies is one thing.

Building a stadium and allowing said franchise to reap the benefits of it is totally different.

And the next time 80,000 people show up to watch an accountant at AIG do his math, let me know.

There is a huge difference and the fact that you either can't see that or don't want to admit it is alarming.

And the fact that you think it is a good development that people are increasingly being squeezed out of press boxes and access is being restricted more and more tells me you are either (a) a news sider who can't get over the petty jealousy and asinine "you are the toy department" bullshit or (b) a fan boy who hates media.

Draft saved Draft deleted