1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press parking at Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Apr 2, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

How do you ask questions without access?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You can have access....if you pay for parking. If you don't, you can't complain about not being able to ask the hard questions. Falls on the media's shoulders. Pay or don't pay. Their choice.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I understand the history of all this but isn't parking a legitimate business expense and why shouldn't or wouldn't the employer cover it?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No, I would not be willing to pay it myself. I won't pay to do my job.

We paid the Redskins 900 bucks a year for three parking passes. Reporter, columnist, photographer. Charging for parking is not a new thing. I would not expect my reporters to pick that up.

5. JackReacher

It usually is, but $19 a game for at least 81 games....that's a lot of cash.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly the same way reporters have access to every other private company and individual in America: You work and hustle for it.

7. JackReacher

Where exactly were the parking spots? Because you could park for free at the Landover Mall and take the shuttle, which drops you off right at the gate. And the shuttles ran late after the game as well.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Don't forget off days, either. Yanks come back off a road trip, go to the Stadium to get a workout in. The NY papers are going to have someone there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Moderator1

Not as late as we needed them and I wasn't going to make my crew stand around and wait for the shuttle. My son once waited more than an hour for a shuttle out of that joint.

10. JackReacher

They wouldn't charge for parking on off days, would they?

11. JackReacher

Damn. That stinks. Granted, I only covered the Redskins a dozen or so times, but I never had to wait for the shuttle, and I was outta there pretty late sometimes. I saw some interesting things on that shuttle, usually on the way to the game.

12. Moderator1

You do your people better than that. At least you did. Not sure what they do now.

Draft saved Draft deleted