1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press parking at Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Apr 2, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, it's not exactly Ragu's "take out a second mortgage to see the Yanks play the Indians," but the Yanks sent notices to all media outlets in the NYC area this week that press parking will cost $19 per game. Their feeble excuse is the city owns the lots and there is nothing the Yanks can do about it.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You know what? I've wondered for years why free press parking has endured as free lunch and free drinks and free (your favorite perk here) have disappeared.

I know it's a long-standing tradition, but I'm not sure why it's still standing given the way things have been going for the last 20 years. If a paper is covering regularly, it can surely buy a lease at a lot/garage handy to the stadium. If I took the subway to the stadium, I wouldn't expect the Yankees to cover my Metrocard.

Even if the city owns the lots, there <b>is</b> something the Yankees could do about it. They could reserve and pay for about 40 spots, and give them to the people who cover regularly. But why would they?

I'm not glad that this is happening, but I'm not surprised, either.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Had to see this coming...I think it was up to $14 last year. Or maybe even more, I don't remember.

Smasher sums it up: No surprise, no real ability to muster up any anger either.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

For the same reason they let you in the game for free. Parking at the stadium (at least in most places -- you could argue that Yankee Stadium offers alternatives) is essential to covering the team and doing the job.

You can make an argument that lunch/drinks/etc. aren't essential. Getting to and from and into the stadium, on the other, isn't.

But yeah, I suppose if someone has to drive to the courthouse and park downtown, they get a receipt and turn it in on the expenses. No reason this can't be the same.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Does ESPN pay to park?

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Having moved over to the business world, I have not yet experienced another instance where I could park for free in a pay lot. In my current job, if I have to pay for parking while on the job, I submit an expense report for reimbursement.

I'll grant you that $1600 a year is a lot to pay, but it's a business related expense. Factor it into the budget and move on. What else can yoi do?

As far as the question about ESPN paying for its trucks: They are. Check the latest MLB TV contracts to see how much they're paying.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The one thing I'll say is, given the current state of the economy and especially this business -- what paper is going to reimburse $1,600 to cover home games. And is it realistic to ask writers who leave the stadium at 1 a.m. some nights to take a Subway or a bus with their laptops and whatnot in hand?

I don't know -- I'm all for free markets but this just smells wrong to me.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I also am paying for parking at my new job, sometimes. There's free parking about five blocks away, which I utilize, but to get close, it's $4.50 a day at the meters. That adds up, which means my fat ass is walking most of the time. Unless it's snowing or raining. Then, I pay.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll bet Michael Kay doesn't.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Doesn't he work for the team?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I never minded paying. I did mind not having a convenient lot and it wasn't out of a sense of entitlement. You're walking out of places late, well after the crowds are gone, usually by yourself, lugging some equipment. You are a target for muggers/robbers/worse.
    Charge me whatever the fuck you want, just let me get close.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, weren't the Yankees also charging for wireless Internet in the press box? How much is that going to cost?

Some colleges have been charging for parking — I think Michigan is one — for a few years. Granted, it's not as many home games as MLB.

Draft saved Draft deleted