1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press conferences as circus sideshows

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

When I was covering a big college football beat, the weekly presser was the worst place to get good material. I always found the availabilities after practice much more informative. The head coach was usually more candid, the assistant coaches and coordinators were all available, and more players were available for a longer period of time.

I never skipped the weekly presser. Usually there was some good stuff, and if nothing else, that's when the initial injury report for the week came out.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Streaming or televising a presser is designed to do nothing but 1) pump said subject's cash flow and 2) marginalize old media. Fans already are paying to watch. Now, they're paying to watch the home team carefully craft its promotional message. Soon, teams will cease to credential outside media.

But what the hell, it's only sports, right?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered a NFL team where two of the local radio guys are former players and whenever there were controversial topics being discussed, one of them would interrupt with a gem like "Can you talk about the spectacular recent play of the inside linebackers?"

When I covered colleges, boosters were almost always in the postgame press conferences. They rarely asked questions, but would applaud when the coaches would come in and occasionally boo if they didn't like a question. They also took the first three rows of seats which went on until enough of us complained and they were told they had to sit in the back.

4. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

About 10 years ago I was at SEC Media Days and David Cutcliffe was at the podium and the PR guy says, "OK, two more questions."
    Someone asked him about a player who had either died or had been diagnosed with cancer and he starts talking about this kid and it's just great, great stuff. Writers who hadn't written a single word down the entire press conference start scribbling madly in their notebooks.

He starts tearing up and pauses as his voice cracks.

A longtime SEC hack who should know better yells down.

"COACH, CAN YOU TALK ABOUT YOUR SCHEDULE?"

End of presser.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Not that Patriots press conferences are a wealth of information, but this is patently false.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The situations are a way of the modern world, sadly, and one of the reasons I'm glad I'm not covering on a daily basis anymore.

I've noted before that I had a very lucky career. Never covered a coach who was an asshole, never covered a coach who restricted access in any excessive way. Frank Beamer was almost excessive in his openness, though now it has gone the other way.

All VT practices used to be open with coaches and players available afterward save for the Friday walk-through. You could get Beamer on Friday, though, and watch the practice.

I wanted to do a story on the walk-on tryout for kickers and punters. Beamer sees me on the sidelines and yells, "You going to write the story from way over there or come out here so you can hear what we're doing?" Out I went.

He did close the final practice of the preseason every year for whatever reason. He apologized to me about that once and I told him, no, I should be thanking him. I had an excuse to leave town early.

Now?

Some practices have a very limited open window, like 15 minutes. Enough to see them stretch. They you come back later for interviews. Their weekly deal used to feature as many as 8-10 players sitting around the room. You could get as much as you wanted from any of them, often by yourself. Now? Four guys. At the podium. Group interviews only. I will say last year when I was around that some of the guys surprised me and there was decent stuff. But everyone got it together.

Post-game was the same around the room situation. Now Beamer is followed by four players at the podium and then a few more are available but the time they're available is shorter.

Of course, it is all streamed.

Beamer remains one of the good guys. You need him and call him, you'll get him. He's told me several times he's not a fan of modern media. The immediacy of blogs and twitter drives him nuts (there's a Web site with his name on it that does some of the same thing but he's involved in name only and has openly criticized some stuff they've had, too). "Can you wait until we call the parents before you put out there that the kid is hurt?" Message boards aren't a favorite, either. "When you call me an ass, at least I know it is you," he said. "Where's the accountability in what's put out there now?"

Valid points. Not that it makes our jobs easier.

In the "old" days, you felt like you got to know the people involved a little better and know a lot more about the team from observing full practices, even if you didn't write about any practice. It made for much better coverage.

When I covered last year for my own site (RIP), I never felt like I got to know anyone beyond those I knew from my previous days on the beat.

7. writingump

writingump Member

To back up what Moddy said: I was on the Tech beat with him from 2001-07 (and am back on it now for football after a brief hiatus not of my choosing).
    Anyway, it was the spring of 2005 and I e-mailed sports info to let them know I was attending practice and would be bringing a photographer for a feature. As Frank walked out there for the start of practice, he greets us and tells the photog, "Shoot what you want."
    As long as you were professional and stayed out of the way, you could walk around and watch every snap. Imagine doing that with Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, etc. Now you have no chance to talk one-on-one with anyone except for media day in August or -- if you get really lucky -- after a game before the rest of the scrum gets to him.
    With access so tightly controlled at BCS schools, I've found that my other beat at the local website for which I write -- ETSU basketball -- is far more informal. For that matter, that whole league (A-Sun) is pretty easy to cover.
    Last year, I tried to track down Stetson's Derek Waugh after they somehow won at ETSU but missed him. Luckily, I ran into an assistant coach who gave me his cell phone number. Waugh answered and it was a great 7-8 minutes.
    Imagine missing Coach K or Calipari's postgame presser and trying to get their cell phone number to get some quotes. Two words: No chance.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I do not think it has anything to do with "marginalizing old media."

Money is the only reason you need.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That sums up just about everybody. Some people like Beamer authentically feel that way, and were great guys w/access before everything blew up. And some are just assholes using the Interwebs and the Twitterz and the bloggers as an excuse to be dicks to everyone.

10. JPsT

JPsT Member

Same thing here, but it doesn't bother me too much. The most annoying thing is the number of seats that go to these people, especially on the road when it's usually a much smaller room.

The thing I've never understood is why they all want to be in there. I guess it's the volume of the things I have to attend, but there are very few occasions for which I'd voluntarily attend a news conference.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They now stream the postgame presser at home on my football beat on the large videoboard in the stadium. Doesn't change how I do anything because the coach I cover doesn't hold anything back and is candid in any setting. I do take full advantage of the fact that practice is open throughout the week (save for the Friday walkthrough). If anything, it's great blog fodder for the pre-game Saturday post, where I can spin some of my observations into what I think will happen during the game, and it leads to good post-game questions. "So, I saw you worked on a lot of empty backfield sets this week, why did you think that would work?, etc."

Draft saved Draft deleted