1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press box horror stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Deadspin wants them ... http://deadsp.in/ez76yd

Seems like they could just search SJ for those.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't wait for this one...

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just read a few of those stories and I'm shaking my head. No wonder papers are going under.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Shane Ryan, please pick up the white courtesy phone . . .

Wasn't there one here where someone said they would "launch someone from a great f%$#ing height!!!!" due to certain press box behavior?

This should be a fun Deadspin feature.

5. Sweet lord!!
    Reading some of those stories, it has to be part Penthouse Letters.

I have never worked any pro events, but I have covered a number of college events at Va. Tech, WVU, Marshall, about a half-dozen MAC schools and several NAIA, NCAA D-II sites and God knows how many high school venues all over the state and I have NEVER encountered anything close to that shit. Ever.

Yeah, I personally, have had some bad experiences with folks running events, but nothing, nothing, like the stuff these people have submitted.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sure every one of these anonymous press box stories is true.

7. Mizzougrad96

Based on the shit most of us have seen, there really shouldn't be any reason for hyperbole. :D

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the day Virgil gets a press credential

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loooooooooooooooooopy.

Trophy retired.

10. Mizzougrad96

Wouldn't that require Lupica to actually attend a sporting event? :D

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I loved reading some of those stories, especially the one about MURRAY CHASS of the NEW YORK TIMES.

Not so much a horror story, but one that amused me: I worked as a sports clerk for our big city paper while in college. About 3-4 years later, I was working another full-time job and then did some stringing for somewhat smaller suburban daily. Covered a Friday night football game and ran into the big paper's longtime preps writer. We made some small talk and I remarked how it had been awhile since I covered a prep football game. Then this exchange:

Him: Well, the great thing about this job is checking out all the hot high school girls in the stands (he was in his late 40s, early 50s)
    Me: Well, um, their probably a little young for me to be chasing (I was in my late 20s).
    Him: Hey, nothing wrong with looking.

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Nah, that would interfere with what he's making up ... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted