1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press Box fights or screaming matches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jun 23, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Almost forgot about a classic in the Devils lockerroom (I think after a practice) between  Rich Chere of the  Star-Ledger and some woman reporrter from Asbury Park.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

My story from not long ago was told not long ago, but is worth repeating. (Unlike most of the other stories, I think most will agree I was within my rights on this.)

A scene from the state AA/A wrestling finals, far from home. I'm sitting on press row next to a woman in a tye-dyed wrestling T-shirt from a paper I've never heard of in a town I've only barely heard of. The matches begin, and she starts screaming her head off at the kids: "GRAB HIS LEG!! ... GO GET 'EM! TAKE 'EM DOWN!"

This shit wasn't gonna fly the whole night and, frankly, I'm amazed I made it as long as I did. I guess I figured she would settle down. Nope. So the following conversation ensued:

Huss: Ma'am?
    Other Lady: WORK TO THE TOP!
    H: Uhh, ma'am...
    OL: YOU GOT 'EM!!
    H: MA'AM!!!! This is a working press area! There shouldn't be any yelling!
    OL: (agitated) Well, I got five kids in the finals!
    H: Ma'am, I have seven in the finals and I won't be cheering for a one of them. And if you look up and down this table, no one else is cheering either.
    OL: (still agitated) Well, I'm sorry. I just get excited.
    H: (bangs head off table)

3. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

that would be correct.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

glad you can't remember...

of course, i may just tell on myself, as i usually do when this thread comes up

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Didn't Akron beat Pitt?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Alan Robinson had a memorable meltdown on press row at our state wrestling finals, but if I'm not mistaken, that was directed at a rent-a-cop.

7. wordguru

wordguru New Member

Re: Press Box fights or screaming matches Boston at Cleveland

I was there for the Boston-Cleveland dustup in Jacobs Field in 2004....I thought it was the guy from Hartford rather than Projo but it was def a Cleveland radio guy. They got into it in the hall outside the press box --- and everyone inside heard it and piled out into the hall (the radio guy ended up hiding on top of the toilet in the can)

The next day we're in Terry Francona's office telling him about it --- some wiseguy called it a "pressbox-clearing brawl" and Francona says, "Jesus, it sounds like there's more excitement up there than on the field."

Karen Guregian of the Herald said it was one of the funnier things she's seen and Francona said, "Wait a minute, YOU were out there too?"

Guregian, all about 5  feet of her, then broke up the room when she said, "Hey, of course I was. I used to be the hockey writer!"

8. markvid

markvid Guest

ALAN? Are you serious? I can't see him ever raising his voice!

9. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Forgot all about that one. "Industrial-sized jar of K-Y jelly" was a nice touch, I thought.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, it was quite the talk.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Wow, he is one of the most pleasant and kind people I know.
    If he goes off, it must be your fault.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Northern Illinois over Maryland?

Draft saved Draft deleted