1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press Box ejections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PaperClip529, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When I was a kid there were gyms like that all over rural Kansas. Refs always went over the local restraining line "ground rules" with captains before the games.n

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Covered one school so tiny not only did it have only five rows of bleacher seats on each side and a stage at one end of the court, the scorer's table was on the back row of the bleachers.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Have one school where there are bleachers with about 4 rows on just one sideline and a stage at one end. The end with the stage also has a rack of lights above the basket inside a cage. The cage can't be more than 20 feet off the ground so if players shoot a 3 a little too high the ball is clanking off that metal.

4. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

When I played in high school, we used the old high school gymnasium on occasion - and by old, I mean the school closed down in the '50s and was then used as town offices.

The lights were all caged off there, too, both on the walls and the ceiling. One baseline had the stage behind it, where they would wheel in temporary bleachers for spectators (which were always family and friends). The other baseline was directly against the wall, which was fitted with nails and hooks in which staffers hung these large blue removable bags as padding. Oddly, there was plenty of room for a scorer's table and two benches on the one sideline. The other only had enough room to walk down.

The locker room was the creepiest place, too. There were a number of janitorial buckets and mops always stacked up in the showers and the urinals were the old style that went all the way into the floor. Legend had it that it was haunted, and everyone believed it.

I haven't thought of this in so many years. I'm glad this thread meandered this way.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pretty sure most high school locker rooms are haunted by the spirits of kids who suffocated after being shoved in lockers or expired from an excessive wedgie. Plus the smell.

Batman likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of our bigger local high schools replaced its old wooden bleachers with newer metal and plastic ones a few years ago. Unfortunately, they forgot to measure how far out the new bleachers should come and missed by a couple of feet. So, if you were sitting at the scorer's table your seat was actually on the first row of bleachers. You had people constantly banging into you trying to get to the other side, knees in your back, and just a general comfort level of minus-7 if you had to sit there for a three-hour girls-boys doubleheader.
    They finally fixed it this year and keep that front row retracted, but the whole experience encouraged me to learn how to shoot basketball so I'd have an excuse to stand on the baseline and move around instead of dealing with that all night.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At the old Roberts Center at BC, where they played until the later '80s, the press seats were so close to the endline the photographers had to shoot from the other side. It was a terrible place to work, but a great place to watch a game.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

100 percent agreed. I would have had no problem with slipping over to the team side if I had the opportunity. The pay is better. There's job security. I don't think I realized how bad it had gotten in newspapers until I got out, honestly.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I dig it.

12. Nathan Foutnier

Nathan Foutnier New Member

I have one better. The former local junior hockey had a borderline call go against them...The fans were upset, players and coaches were. At the media timeout shortly thereafter, the referees go to the referee's crease to get some water. The press box over hangs the referee's crease and the penalty boxes so I hear the whole exchange. The "off ice league official" manning one of the penalty box's opens the door to see what the officials needed. The referees asks for some water. The off ice personnel goes "You don't deserve any water." Next thing you know the guy with who has a league issued jacket on is getting the boot. #ImisstheQ

Draft saved Draft deleted