1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press Box Attire - College Football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JM22720, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How many of you guys own a hat other than a baseball cap? Fedora, porkpie, homburg, etc., and wear it to work?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

(hand in air)

But I also own LOTS of baseball caps. I'm bald. When I do my daily walk, the sun crushes my head. So I sweat through them quickly.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Minimal. I'll go with a stocking cap in the winter when it's under 20 F and a golf cap only when actually golfing or at the shore.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Winter: stocking cap informally, crushed Borsalino fedora when dressing up. 2 3/4" brim, black.

I've had a closet full of baseball caps since I was about 5, but wear them now less and less.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Big reporting day. Gonna wear the dark grey medium weight Hickey Freeman, I think, and the oxblood wingtips.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's them.

Key to the whole thing is the matching belt.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Went with the Brooks Brothers two-button in medium weight / medium grey.

Felt like a million bucks.

Riptide likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OK. It's been a month.

Remember, dress for the job you want.

cranberry likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Working tonight at the Golden Gloves.

Charcoal Brooks Brothers; oxblood shell cordovan wingtips; white oxford shirt; rep tie.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I caught a lot of grief at the last college basketball game I covered this year. I paired a somewhat colorful button-down with a blue sport coat and kind mustard-y yellow jeans. It was the pants that caught everyone's attention. But they were just jeans. Most times, I would have worn traditional blue denim, but the mustard pair were what was clean that day.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sure you looked great.

And given our eating habits, mustard yellow pants should be mandatory for sports writers in every press box everywhere.

Flip Wilson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted