1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential wooing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This morning, in a lengthy piece about Rick Perry's upbringing, I read that, after years of courting her, he finally "wore down" his wife Anita and earned her hand in marriage.

This is largely a footnote to the piece, but it got me thinking because it seems to be the narrative in every single national politician's marriage story. I'm serious. If I were so inclined right now, I could probably rummage through Google, newspaper archives, and my own library to find story after story about how this politician asked his wife out 50 times before she said yes. Or that politician asked his wife to marry him five times before he said yes.

The chase, and repeatedly being turned down, seems to have become an essential part of the candidate's origin myth.

Why?

2. Dick Whitman

Joe Biden: Five proposals before a yes.

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2010/04/22/joe-biden-visits-the-view/

3. Dick Whitman

http://www.amillionlives.net/michelle-obama-biography-an-advocate-fashion-icon-and-an-impressive-first-lady.html

"Barack Obama asked Michelle out on a date, but she refused thinking that it would be improper to be involved with someone she was working with. Barack Obama was persistent in asking Michelle out and eventually she relented and they soon fell in love."

4. Dick Whitman

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I believe this fits Harry Truman as well. As far as anyone can tell, HST had never dated before he started dating Bess and only after years of trying. They didn't marry until he was about 35 which was very old for a first marriage circa WWI.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Three thoughts:

First, this fits a desirable narrative of any political biography by illustrating grit and gumption.

Second, I don't think I've ever met an American man who wasn't turned down for a date - or had his proposal rebuffed - at least once by his future wife.

And because until very recently men still did most of the asking, it's the law of averages that accounts for all these stories of romantic persistence.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Without Googling, I'm pretty sure that's the John Edwards story as well.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really interesting observation Dick. The other narrative that has always stuck me is how candidates like to portray their hardscrabble upbringing and roots.

10. Dick Whitman

George W. Bush in particular.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It also makes them seem more likable. So who knows how often the story is exagerrated.

What are they supposed to say, "Well, my father was a senator and I was at Harvard, so as you can imagine, getting some trim was never an issue."

"Based on how rich my family is, I've been getting laid since I was a pre-teen."

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

From Martha Washington to Michelle Obama with James Buchanan and Rufus King in between, I don't really give a fuck about the romantic adventures of big-time pols. Either do the job or get the fuck out.

Draft saved Draft deleted