1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential straw poll - August 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Aug 14, 2019.

?

Who would you vote for president?

1. Joe Biden

11 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. Cory Booker

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Pete Buttigieg

27 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. Kamala Harris

10 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Beto O'Rourke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bernie Sanders

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Donald Trump

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
  8. Elizabeth Warren

22 vote(s)
    25.3%
  9. Andrew Yang

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. Other/Third Party

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The hell? You can do better than this sexist nonsense.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's really odd that the national polling consistenly has run counter to the media narrative. The press want to cover someone new, the people polling are still down with Biden and Bernie. But I do think this comes down to polling in Iowa, NH, SC and Nevada - nothing else really matters.

Don't be surprised if the DNC announces a climate change debate in Seattle during their meetings this weekend. They can call it the Jay Inslee Memorial.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Do you just fall into every stereotype out of ignorance? Sen. Harris went to Howard and Hastings, while fine schools those are not Ivy League. Hastings is a public school where she (and I) had classmates who were 50 yr olds and kids of migrant workers yet were some of the best in the US.

And no, just because she and I were people of color doesn’t mean we were affirmative action admits. (We were not.). Minorities made up 30% of our class but affirmative action only made up 10%, do the math.

We had affirmative action admits for whites too, do you assume that the poor whites who wore shabby clothes were affirmative action admits too?

Cynic? No pure ignorance and laziness. That’s what stereotypes are, when you’re too lazy to find out who someone is.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Buttigieg could wear a “seems reasonable” t-shirt and get away with it. He does seem reasonable. Smart. Fairly nice. Maybe a little fixated on consensus. But he seems presidential.

Warren is by far the most likable candidate of the further left types.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But it is Warren.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sure it does. California's voting much earlier than before makes a big difference.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I like Warren fine.
    Intellectually there's nobody on the track who's faster than her.
    But I think all of these candidates need to understand that mocking this piece of shit is going to be far more effective than expressing outrage at his vandalism.
    The mocking is his kryptonite- that was established on the second fukin day of his administration, with crowd sizes.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. DanOregon

If you don't have at least one win or two seconds before Super Tuesday I think you have no shot.

9. DanOregon

It's odd - I know there has been a lot of talk about who can beat Trump, electibility, likeability, who is the most progressive etc. I haven't heard a lot of talk about who would be the best President. It's too bad political campaigns are more about marketing than competence.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Warren would make the best president on day one. But she's 70. Too goddamn old.

They'll all make pretty good presidents if they follow a simple road map: eradicate everything Fatfuck has done by executive order. Every fucking thing.

And prosecute him and every member of his junta on every criminal charges you can think up. Drag the fuckers to jail. Somebody needs to pay for this.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Warren, Biden and Sanders are all too old. Look at second term Reagan and first (and only!?) term Trump. Mental decline is a real thing, and electing someone on the wrong side of 70 is folly.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Warren, Biden and Sanders are now in a virtual 3-way tie for first place. The Joe-mentum is fading fast.

But from here to Iowa is an eternity. Plenty of time for someone else to surge, such as Pete or Kamala or maybe someone in the third tier. Where was Bill Clinton in 1991 or Jimmy Carter in 1975?

Draft saved Draft deleted