1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential straw poll - August 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Aug 14, 2019.

?

Who would you vote for president?

1. Joe Biden

11 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. Cory Booker

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Pete Buttigieg

27 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. Kamala Harris

10 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Beto O'Rourke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bernie Sanders

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Donald Trump

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
  8. Elizabeth Warren

22 vote(s)
    25.3%
  9. Andrew Yang

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. Other/Third Party

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Character, intelligence and compassion.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Democratic Party in Hawaii should simply take the bitch out. Primary her. She's a Trumpist plant.

Let her go get a Stepin Fetchit job as a token "liberal female" on Faux Fascist Teevee.

heyabbott and Driftwood like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think when Dems are selecting a nominee against a sitting President, contrast and an ability to attract voters they didn't get four years prior play a huge role. See Kerry and his Vietnam War service against W. Clinton's youth and "hipness" vs. HW. The Evangelicals and other put off by Pete being gay would vote Trump anyway.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Not sure that everyone in South Bend would agree with that assessment.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I would be more than happy if 2021-25 was nothing more than a hard reset on the presidency and politics in general. I'll take a random Democrat who accomplishes very little if that's who it takes to beat Trump and his like. I'll take a rational Republican who will return some decency to the job and put Moscow Mitch in his place.
    I'd love to only hear the president's name in the news a couple of times a week because he/she is quietly working with legislative branch on running our country for the betterment of everyone.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's a similar poll over there . . . 19-10 in favor of the Ds. Not "balanced", but not an echo chamber, either.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let's talk about the poll, your vote, etc. and not turn this into Politics2. If we do that, there's no need for this.
    Thanks in advance. And Starman, please limit your crazy delusions to one thread. Or your own head. Thanks in advance for that, too

HanSenSE and Liut like this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hs May speak in cliches but he never sounds like he speaks in cliches. He has an honesty, or portrays an honesty of intellect. Warren sounds earnest, but she also looks and sounds like she’s saying the same thing, in the same way, for the umpteenth million time.
    Harris and Booker sound like they went through a check list of issues and picked a preexisting position that confirms to an activist group they are courting. They don’t sound as if they have unique ideas. And it’s just the cynic in me that anyone of color with impeccable Ivy League or Public Ivy League credentials are a creature of affirmative action, including grades and honors.

Liut likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I like a man who grins when he fights, Churchill once said of FDR.
    That person is not Kamala Harris.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The next Dem debate(s) will be interesting - though a really bad look for the party to try and compete with NFL football (though it is Bucs-Panthers so interest will be limited). Figure everyone will be invested in going after Warren.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I’m as guilty as the next, but the horse race nature of these early “debates,” here and in the reporting, does a disservice to the actual nominating process. It’s all style with very little substance. They’re not debating shit, not in the traditional sense of the word. They’re reciting their stump speech and trying to score twitter points.

I think that any candidate who tries to pander too much to the progressive wing — however you define it — of the Democratic Party is setting themselves up for failure in the general election. I agree with and support some of their goals, but letting the liberal version of the Tea Party define the debate isn’t going to get it done.

I’m as blue dog as you can get, but I need to see someone who can beat Trump. That’s all that matters. I haven’t seen that yet.

Liut, Driftwood and heyabbott like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted