1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential Signing Statements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

As part of the continuing resolution to fund the government, some of the president's czars were defunded. Obama used a signing statement as an end run around this particular part of the CR.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/15/obama-signing-statement-despite-law-i-can-do-what-i-want-on-czars/

What did Candidate Obama say about using signing statements?

My question, after this how can the republicans think Obama will negotiate in good faith? This is just one of his many lies, but this one is amazingly blatant. There is no grey area...

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Presedential Signing Statements

If there was still a politics board, I would have totally started this thread.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: Presedential Signing Statements

Very clever of you, Carlton! I've never thought about badly misspelling "presidential" in order to get around Moddy's SJ political ban.

Very clever!

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I think this is newsworthy and should be discussed from that perspective. How much attention should this get? How can it be ignored?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I hope Obama does about a million more FUs like this so he can catch up to the Republican governors.

6. How can anyone think any president will negotiate in good faith when these signing statements are used for stuff like this all the time by everyone in the office?

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/signingstatements.php?year=2011&Submit=DISPLAY#axzz1Jhl5tE00

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a ton of political threads on this board. It's completely random what is allowed to stay and what isn't.

Such is life.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, as long as they're allowed at all, people on both sides are gonna keep trying to push the boundaries.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't see what Obama did as contrary to what he said. He said he wouldn't use them to "get his way" or "do an end-run around Congress." The statement in question is one directed toward the issue of whether or not Congress has the authority on this matter of it's a matter of executive authority.

Of course, there was one candidate who promised to do away with signing statements entirely during the campaign, and I always admired that part of McCain's platform. But Obama always refused to go that far.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Are you serious? The question was if he would use signing statements, and the first word out of his mouth in response was "no." Then he explained. If you do not think he is going back on his word here you are never going to admit he does anything wrong. It could not be more clear that he is going back on his word.
    As for this thread being political...do you not think the POTUS going back on his word is newsworthy? Should this not be discussed on a journalism message board? If it is an uncomfortable topic for you, I understand, but it still is extremely newsworthy.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Carlton, at least have the stones to own this as a political thread. The issue of a president being good on his word is 100 percent political

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Although I don't agree with the idea of signing statements, Obama said when he was running against McCain that he would use the practice if he were President. Maybe on a journalism message board you should check your facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.