1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential Counter Programming: GOP Debate or NFL Opening Night

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 31, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Just another bucket of water in the ocean, my friend.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a good idea, but it has its own flaws.

A speech in Detroit would have an impact. But, it would give the press and the GOP a new line of attack as well.

The jobless rate in any city he gave a speech would be tracked on its own. The failure of it to rebound would be used against him.

You could just see a GOP Presidential candidate giving a speech in the same site, one year later, and pointing to the continued unemployment.

It would be a disaster for Obama.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just to clarify - in the theme of the thread I meant to convey that Obama had sufficiently snubbed Boehner/Congress so as to to get his way on Libya.

Whether or not Libya turns out well in the future is anyone's guess.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting. Not one article I read last night mentioned this.

Technically, it's slightly different. Reagan wanted to speak just to the House, not a Joint Session, so references to previous requests to speak before a Joint Session would rightly not include this episode.

But, you could still reference it within a story.

I don't know if you're just a wiz at Google or if you get your stuff from some left wing version of Drudge, but I'd hire you to do research.

You come up with some good finds.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At least the Reagan Administration asked before making it public.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And why in the hell would the President open himself up to looking so weak over a jobs plan that, honestly, you know has no chance of being passed? I have no clue what the plan is, but I'd bet folding money that: A) it won't be left enough to satisfy his left flank in the Senate; or B) right enough to satisfy the Republicans in either the Senate or the House. As a practical matter, the pissing over the scheduling of the address is irrelevant, because the address itself is, politically, a non-entity. All in all a really dumb play -- as in no upside and all downside -- by the W.H.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

If Boehner is the GOP guy that's brought them back out of the darkness of 2008, why isn't he running? Because Congress is on the take..and seemingly even with a low ass poll number itself, can hide in the oval office.

Hell, Obama could have asked for Tuesday. Or how about this week? How long does it take to come up with a jobs bill considering the economy has, well, you know, sucked for four years?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks, YF. I'm Search Engine Optimized.

And Khaddafi was doomed from the moment he stopped using a good leave-in conditioner.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. That was a great find.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

PFT says it looks like the speech is getting pushed back to a 5:30 p.m. MDT start but no decision yet on whether NBC will carry it or the pregame concert/Super Bowl celebration at Lambeau or ship it off to, say, Versus.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

BO keeps trying to embarrass the Tea-Hees into doing something resembling the right thing (cuts of 4 in spending, + 1 in taxes -- and they wouldn't bite!).
    But he's being arch and too cute, and it's going straight over the heads of the luddites. Grover and the Koches are clearly channelling the Teastains by intimidation and/or cash. Any BO jobs bill would likely be beneficial to the relative health of the economy, but the Suntan and that dull tool, Cantor, will render it DOA.
    BO's clearly painting the far right as obstructionist, do-nothing f-bags -- and he's right.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

President Perry will just make his speech and the fire his gun off into the air.

He won't ask permission... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted