1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential Counter Programming: GOP Debate or NFL Opening Night

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Az, all this does is back the narrative that Obama is weak. I haven't put much stock in those anecdotes, but for him to ask to go before Congress, only to be told to come back tomorrow, is stunning. LBJ would have Boehner hanging by a flagpole in his underwear.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I think in this situation he may just be picking his battles. If what everyone is reporting about his "jobs plan" is correct he is going to have to be working with Congress, both sides, quite soon. And getting into a pissing contest about when and where he should be asking for their help is not very smart. This is all overblown.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As long as Black Jesus doesn't pre-empt or delay the NFL opener, who cares? Just don't watch...

Or here's an idea... Do it during the day. I know how he loves being on in prime time, but give me a break...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You and I don't agree on much politically, but I agree with every word. :D

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Every president has dealt out or endured place-card bullshit like this with Congress. The difference in 2011 is an instantaneous "news" cycle that requires 24-hour-a-day feeding 365 days a year, and our real-time technology for sharing our "thoughts" as to what it all "means."

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm kind of amused by the idea of the speaker of the house hanging by his tighty whities 50 feet in the air on the Capitol grounds. In a cartoon, he'd have steam coming from his ears, and his face would be even redder than normal.

8. Boom_70

Obama once again has set himself up for failure by setting a deadline for some event to happen that he can't deliver on.

This one is really a "twofer". First he tells America before his vacation, that he will tell us his plans reducing unemployment when he returns. Then he sets a date for speech that was not nailed down.

The White House made the mistake of leaking the speech date before it was set.

9. Boom_70

Johnson would have presented Boehner with a pair of those tight Haggar slacks that would irritate his nuts.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's really not, but we forget that it's really not.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-06-23/news/mn-20081_1_larry-speakes

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

It wasn't leaked, it was announced. Which is a lot worse. But, still, this is much ado about nothing.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I will never agree again with Carlton Banks, so make note of it here.

Draft saved Draft deleted