1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential Counter Programming: GOP Debate or NFL Opening Night

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 31, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Serious question: could it be because he'd never operated in a contested environment?

The only tough races he ever had were in primaries.

Does coming from a purple state make you a better politician -- able to work with the other side, but also prepared for a fight?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Be curious to see what the NBC mothership/NFL does next Thursday. I suspect the NBC/NFL will keep its schedule of the pregame concert at 5:30 p.m. MDT and kickoff shortly after 6 p.m. MDT with the adage that the speech is available elsewhere on multiple platforms. And the ratings comparison will be fun to see just to see how much football is king in this country.

3. YankeeFan

Total unforced error.

Carney was mocking the idea that it would interfere with the GOP debate during his briefing today. Said something like, "i don't know what's on the wild animal channel or the cooking channel. If the Republicans would like to move the time of their debate, we invite them to do that."

And then, they back down hours later? Really bad. Stupid bad.

4. YankeeFan

The best part about this for Boehner is that he gets to just cite logistical concerns. He doesn't even refer to the debate:

And, he gets to scold Obama for not following protocol:

Plus, Carney comes out of it looking like an idiot:

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Carney is making Robert Gibbs look like Winston Churchill...and Gibbs was a total load.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this came up recently, maybe when one of the conventions collided with the Thursday opener in '08. There was doomsday predicted for the pols, but the NFL just rolled back its start a bit, and with all the bullshit opening night stuff they do, nobody missed a play.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And, not for once, I'm in complete agreement with YF.

Just beyond stupid by Obama and his team.

The ripple effect of the coverage of how the NFL kicked his ass in the ratings department will continue to make him look stupid.

Unless he comes out in a Bears jersey cheese head or in Saints gear in honor of the Katrina anniversary, then says he'll be brief because he wants to watch the game. That would be about the only thing that would help with most of the population.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You might be right. And kickoff is actually 6:30 p.m. MDT so moving kickoff back to 7 p.m. MDT wouldn't be out of the question. But I'd still love to see a ratings comparison if they moved up kickoff to 6 p.m. MDT and go head-to-head with it. Hell, the NFL has scoffed at MLB and goes head-to-head now with the World Series and more than doubles the ratings.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

For a normal speech from the Oval Office I could see this working, but aren't addresses to joint sessions of Congress usually much longer than a typical speech? Plus we will have to sit through the Democrats applauding for 10 minutes every time Obama scratches his ass or cuts a fart. I know both sides do it...and it's a total pain in the ass.

10. LongTimeListener

Found it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/03/AR2008090303255.html

In '08 the opener was moved up an hour so it wouldn't collide with McCain's acceptance speech. I don't imagine that's an option now. But I also don't think this is too big of a problem; if the speech starts at 7 p.m. ET it should be over in plenty of time.

Incidentally, MileHigh, I know you're now a mod and all, but the TV world has operated for 75 years without paying any attention to MDT and we aren't about to start now just for you. :)

11. YankeeFan

MileHigh using MDT is like JR referring to kilometers. What? Do you have a conversion chart for that?

LOL.

The NFL will probably push their kickoff back a little bit.

Still tough for the President. A Joint Session does include a lot of pageantry that makes it hard to do quickly.

And, NFL fans will be watching pre-game activity, ordering wings, making sure they have enough beer on hand, etc.

12. LongTimeListener

I'm on Obama's side of the aisle -- though not much of a fan right now -- and I wouldn't even think about watching this regardless of what else was on. Who will?

Draft saved Draft deleted