1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I read that book a while back by Robert Sullivan, in which he observed rats in Manhattan alleys and tried to figure them out. One of the only things I remember from the book is that when they really liked mayonnaise. Like they would know which restaurants' garbage bags to go through to find the mayonnaise. I picture Donald Trump's garbage being an amazing source of mayonnaise and word having spread fast among the DC rats.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yes, it does...as any reasonable adult would fairly state.

Meanwhile, curious as to which one of these investigations do you find to be completely baseless?

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I loved that book. Great cover art, too. I would imagine that Trump's garbage is rat heaven, except that King Idiot probably doesn't leave behind a lot of leftovers.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Whatever you think of Obamacare, it was an honest effort by President Obama to help these people. Even his detractors didn't doubt his sincerity. They doubted how we'd pay for it or its effectiveness (valid questions given the outcome). In fact, that's how it was attacked. Its naivete.

This is where the currency comes from. Trying vs. not trying. That means something to a lot of people. That's not coolness. That's called recognizing a human vs. non-human approach. It was Hoover vs. FDR all over again, with both sides left to argue over which was more effective while one approach won the hearts and minds of the country because it was HUMAN.

Otherwise you could say pre-ghost-visited Ebeneezer Scrooge is the most charitable man because he recognized the inevitable plight of the poor and didn't waste our time by trying to find a solution.

And maybe that's actually true. It's horrid to think, though.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I’m sure YF would say they’re all fake news.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Without reference to "liberal media," Trump is the one who made - and makes, daily - immigration the centerpiece of his campaign and his administration.

That a 7-year-old girl died in custody is news.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

With all due respect, no. Obamacare was an honest effort to cover millions of uninsured people. It was not an honest effort to curb opioid deaths. Now, I do not agree with the argument that Obamacare has increased opioid deaths - and that's an argument out there - but, whatever rhetoric is out there, Obamacare was designed to do other things first.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I still don't know why I read that book. Rats freak me out more than just about anything. I live surrounded by them, but I never became inured. I am scared silly of them. The book actually freaked me out, but I kept reading. To this day, I don't know why.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The seven-year-old who passed away in CBP custody arrived at our southern border dehydrated, and water was made available to her and the other 160 immigrants, including a couple of dozen unaccompanied minors.

Whether jugs of water were or were not available on the U.S. side of the border had no bearing on her death.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It is. But Trump's not a murderer. Further, the statement put out after the fact was not "dripping with cruelty" as Chris Hayes suggested.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="The Big Ragu, post: 4498353, member: 1461"I picture Donald Trump's garbage being an amazing source of mayonnaise and word having spread fast among the DC rats.[/QUOTE]

I picture Bill Clinton's garbage being a good source of the same. And, for that matter, southerner Al Gore.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Read what I quoted again. That paragraph had no reference to opioids. It was about the plight of rural Ohioans, West Virginians and Kentuckians.

Donny in his element likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.