1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

This is going to be a huge story in North Carolina.

UNC Chapel Hill students just tore down the monument to Confederate students who died in the Civil War. It was erected by the UDC in the 1910s.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

That's a great thread. I saw it earlier on my phone and could not remember who wrote it for the life of me.

Thanks.

garrow likes this.
  5. heyabbott

This is wrong. This is why the left will ultimately fail to win the center.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think the statue needed to go. I would have preferred that they move it to the cemetery that's on campus instead of leaving it on the main quad. I think had they moved it, this would have been avoided.

The N.C. legislature tied the university's hands a few years ago, though, in the wake of the anti-Confederate movement that started after Dylann Roof killed nine people at Emmanuel AME. They made it nearly impossible for government bodies throughout the state to take down or move these kinds of memorials. So the students took it into their own hands. I don't blame them, even though I agree that it will not help the left in the short term. I don't really care about that. I care more about the African American students who had to walk past a symbol of white supremacy every day on their way to class.

7. Neutral Corner

Falwell, Jr. isn't going to have any of that free speech invading his Christian campus.

8. Neutral Corner

Think of it as evolution in action.

9. heyabbott

I don’t know enough about the memorial to say whether it’s a symbol of white supremacy, or a memorial to students who died in the Civil War. It is too easy to impose our view world view and sense of morality 150 years later. Are we at the point that any reference to the confederacy is a reference to pro-slavery. The Civil War was first and last about slavery, of that there is no rational debate. But at the infantry man’s level it was not. Can we not memorialize the average soldier? Do we hold the enlisted German soldier in Africa responsible for The Concentration Camps? There is a difference between Honoring Nathan Bedford Forrest and memorializing anonymous soldiers

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

That's why they should sit down and hammer out a compromise, but neither side will give an inch. The statue could have been moved to a place designed to house it and tell its story. Compromise has become a dirty word, and it's hard as hell to run a Democracy without it.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. heyabbott

The death of accommodation is the death of democracy.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.