1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Corrected for accuracy

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Unfrozen Rainmain Lawyer

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And smile!

[​IMG]

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Hey, the guy got the whole me not being a great critical thinker right. So points to him for that.

It's the whole I should've just stayed in my hillbilly caste for my own good outlook that kinda pisses me off.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Turkey isn't getting out of this without the U.S.'s help. So this should be interesting. Unless some weird consortium of China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc. step in with massive loans (and why would they), it is going to take the IMF and the U.S.

The question right now is how much contagion there actually is, and nobody seems to know -- how exposed the European banks are to that debt, and even U.S. banks if there is any exposure (I doubt there is much). It could be very little. Or it could be way more than anyone imagines. People are very busy today trying to kick some tires and look under some hoods. The fact that they weren't doing that until today, largely, says everything you need to know about what free money has done for the last decade.

Regardless, this is very reminiscent to me, at least, of the 1997 Malayasian crisis, when Suharto blamed it all on foreign conspirators and the dreaded "currency speculators." That was a crisis that had real contagion that spread, and it led to a lot of the central bank crap we have seen since, which has made debt levels and the possible credit crises everywhere multiply.

In this case, I suspect the potential contagion is probably way more contained than the Asian crisis back then was. But I honestly don't know. Which means it is going to be speculators pounding the lira like a rented mule until they finally capitulate and boost interest rates bout 1000 basis points, or whatever it is going to take to get rid of some of them. Unfortunately, his rhetoric is anything but that kind of course of action. And you have to worry about the dreaded capital controls with a guy like that, which could create panic, which would then maybe spread to other EM markets.

This is a story that will play out over a period of time. It will be interesting to see how, because right now he is being very defiant and nationalistic and doing just about everything wrong.

As an aside, there are three countries over the last decade that borrowed heavily under free money policies over that decade, but DIDN'T use the windfall to at least nominally try to slow down the tide on their massive amounts of sovereign debt they had been running up. Those countries are the United States, China. ... and Turkey.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

You know a lot more about currency and markets than I do.

I do know this: Anything we can do to push Turkey closer to Team Russia is part and parcel to a centuries-old Russian Dream.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

President Trump frequently used the word “nigger” while he was the host of the reality television show “Celebrity Apprentice” and there are tapes that can confirm it, according to a new memoir by one of Mr. Trump’s former White House advisers, Omarosa Manigault Newman.

This will be the end of Trump....

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Where does the article say, or does Omarosa make the claim, that she has it on tape?

I especially love that the Times is already prepared for Trump supporters to "seize" on the fact that she never heard Trump say the word.

President Trump frequently used the word “nigger” while he was the host of the reality television show “Celebrity Apprentice” and there are tapes that can confirm it, according to a new memoir by one of Mr. Trump’s former White House advisers, Omarosa Manigault Newman.

The claim is among the more explosive that Ms. Manigault Newman makes in the book, “Unhinged.” It was first reported by the British publication The Guardian, which had an early copy.

Ms. Manigault Newman said she never heard Mr. Trump use the word herself, a point that critics of her credibility are certain to seize on.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is so dumb.

Trump was rightly criticized for hiring a grifter like her, but now the media is going to ignore that, and pretend she has credibility.

Unnamed sources are bad enough, but we're supposed to rely on unnamed sources of Omarosa?

And, let's remember, books don't get fact checked like news articles do. There isn't some editor who's aware of who her "sources" are.

Donald Trump is a “racist” who has used the “N-word” repeatedly, Omarosa Manigault Newman, once the most prominent African American in the White House, claims in a searing memoir.

The future US president was caught on mic uttering the taboo racial slur “multiple times” during the making of his reality TV show The Apprentice and there is a tape to prove it, according to Manigault Newman, citing three unnamed sources.

Trump has been haunted from around the time of his election in 2016 by allegations that outtakes from the reality TV show exist in which he is heard saying the N-word and using other offensive language.

In her book, Unhinged, a copy of which was obtained by the Guardian ahead of its publication next week, the former Apprentice participant insists that the reports are true, although she does not say she heard him use the word herself.

Omarosa says Trump is a racist who uses N-word – and claims there's tape to prove it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.