1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I just imagine that if you're trying to keep your presence a secret, you're not signing up for government programs.

Smallpotatoes and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Maybe in your Fox News world, but if you say that to professionals who work in the industry (some of whom I know first-hand) they will laugh in your face. Most undocumented immigrants actually do pay taxes but don't have SSNs or "fake papers."

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well, undocumented immigrants are entitled to benefits for their citizen children. So parents can get help with the kids who are born here.

But those benefits have restrictions on them and, again, are difficult to apply and enroll for.

The only "immigrants" who arrive here and immediately have access to the whole range of "welfare" assistance are refugees and folks seeking asylum.

5. TigerVols

...in which a snake handler weeps when bitten:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

60 Minutes / Scott Pelley had a piece on Sunday on the trucks full of immigrants from Mexico / Central America that have ended up with people locked in the back of the trucks in unbearable temperatures, leading to deaths.

They tracked down one of the guys who was in the back of a truck in one of those incidents in Texas recently. He was back home in a small village in Central America or Southern Mexico. He had come to the U.S. multiple times, and from the way they described it, it sounded like he worked his ass off doing the kinds of jobs most Americans hold their noses up at. Back home, he was looking at $300 a month, and not being able to pay the bills. When he came to America and worked his ass off, he could clear $5K a month. He had made the trip four times, working in a factory, on a hog farm, and helping to rebuild New Orleans after Katrina.

You're right. These aren't largely people coming here because the welfare benefits are so great (as if they could collect them). They are coming here for the same reason immigrants have always come here, opportunities that are way better than in the crummy places they had the misfortune to be born to.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ...just like voter fraud.

8. TigerVols

But they have brown skin, which scares the hell out of our friends around here and elsewhere who don't vote Democratic.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You would think that, but ...

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The amount of wealth created in our economy by immigrant labor far exceeds whatever they take out in "welfare."

It's a nonsense hobbyhorse of the right along the lines of "immigrants are lazy thieves taking all our benefits, plus they're stealing all our jobs."

BadgerBeer and Smallpotatoes like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

For some reason I've had it stuck in my head that Tillerson is Jeff Sessions, so now I'm kinda disappointed that Tillerson is the one fired cuz I wanted it to be Jeff Sessions.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't think Trump can fire Jeff Sessions, and the racist elf knows it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.