1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd like to think some agent-provocateurs are involved with CPAC trying to lower the bar of decorum each year, but I think it's an annual challenge.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yet another sign that the Republican Party is shredding itself. Are the lynch parties coming back next?

cc: @YankeeFan

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In my classroom management class we were discussing among ourselves how dumb arming teachers really is. Billy is a dick one too many times to a teacher who is really tired of dealing with dicks and no more Billy.

We also talked about this kind of scenario:

Plus some of us agreed, can we use the money earmarked for a Glock and maybe spend it on more school supplies that inevitably come out of our pockets anyway?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Really? they'll outlive the cockaroach and Ivanka Trump’s diaphragm

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I’m starting to feel worse for these kids every day.

Their passion is strong, but this is not wise.

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

And to think that people laughed at this 45 years ago because it was absurd. Now it's taken as a real-life solution.

John B. Foster likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

Wait a second...

Teachers are already carrying in some states? No child has been accidentally shot, and they've overcome the insurance issues?

And, hey, look, it hasn't even cost very much public money.

Why hasn't this been mentioned previously?

Teachers are already carrying concealed guns in a handful of states, including Ohio. Officials who support concealed carry for teachers say they're not just handing out guns but carefully considering who and how they should carry. Ohio has invested thousands in training.

But many educators are uncomfortable with the idea, and worry that it could put students in further harm and deter people from entering the field of teaching, which is already facing shortages.

At one training session to teach best practices in the small town of Rittman, Ohio, more than a dozen teachers stood in a line poised with guns in hand.

They're were there as part of the FASTER program funded by the Buckeye Firearms Foundation. The state is also kicking in $175,000 dollars over the next two years.

For the past five years, FASTER has trained more than 1,300 teachers and staff across 12 states. Chris Cerino is a former police officer and law enforcement trainer who prepares teachers and staff in case of an active shooter.

"We teach them about target and backstop," Cerino says, "We give them good marksmanship skills. We talk to them about closing the distances and using cover. And we also talk to them about not shooting when they shouldn't or can't."

In Ohio, any school board can give permission to carry a firearm into normally gun-free schools. Those decisions are often made behind closed doors because they're part of a district's confidential safety plan.

The Buckeye Firearms Foundation's Jim Irvine says it's not just teachers with guns, it's principals, nurses, and maintenance people. And he says, it's strictly voluntary.

"No one should ever be forced to carry a gun," Irvine says. "It's something you have got to want to do because if you don't want to do it, you're not going to embrace it with the right mindset and the right attitude to do it properly."

Educators Fear And Embrace Calls For Concealed Carry In The Classroom

9. YankeeFan

Now I just feel bad for everyone involved. Joe most of all.

10. cowboy2001

cowboy2001 Member

To quote DW, it feels like they’re overplaying their hand here.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yes, he should act more Presidential, like trump. Threatening to start a crime wave in California if they don’t obey him.
    "We're getting no help from the state of California. Frankly, if I pulled our people from California, you would have a crime nest like you've never seen in California. All I'd have to do is say 'ICE, Border Patrol, leave California alone,'" he said during a listening session at the White House.

Yes sir, the kids these days need to learn how to behave from the Evangelical Conservatives and Moralists of the Republican Party. Pussy grabbing, insulting, cursing, disrespectful towards heroes, law enforcement and the military.

lakefront and Inky_Wretch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.