1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

If it's true that she's zero percent Native, then she might not have a grievance, but every other Native American might.

Remember the white woman who worked for the NAACP? Rachel Dolezal? She was white, right? So what if I start mockingly calling her Oprah? How does Oprah take that? How do other African Americans?

dixiehack likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oprah, being alive, would have standing there. How others might take it isn't that big of a deal.

Humor is always subjective, but that one strikes me as funny and inbounds.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Put he's selling it accurately. I don't get the phenomenon.

4. typefitter

I would vote for "that's super fucking racist" there.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We have a handful of posters on here who lost friends in the Sept. 11 attacks. Would love to hear what they think of this equivalency.

Gov: Removing Confederate statues like losing 9/11 memorial

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Exactly. So why is this any different? I'm confused.

7. typefitter

Humour is subjective, of course, and jokes, almost by definition, often push the bounds of good taste. I did an entire standup routine once about fucking Ted Nugent. ("Fucking," the verb.) Can we at least agree that the president of the United States should not be calling a U.S. Senator, who might or might not have Native blood, Pocahontas?

JC likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sorry man, I can't agree. It's funny. The fact she's a senator is what puts it inbounds. If she was just a professor or other private citizen, then he'd be picking on her without warrant.

9. typefitter

It's not any different, I don't think. I'm also confused.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

But haven't you experienced, in your life, people overreacting over emotional topics? I sure as hell have.

Because you don't feel you're an expert on racism as a white person doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on it.

This is the whole problem I have with the "privilege" nonsense. People don't want to talk things out. They want to be heard only, because they know they are right and any challenge is from a position that is unlike they're own, so the challenge must be from a position of misunderstanding, because obviously they are in the right.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Did nobody post this? Virginia governor set the tone Trump should have set ...

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, this is slightly off-topic right now, but still, so weird: Remember the coffee tangent a few pages ago? Well, I'm watching "The Wall," and what's one of the questions about? Yep, Starbucks and what size is a venti?:)

(The contestant in isolation got it right)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.