1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Coming down the stretch to the election, there were constant stories about how the Fucko campaign refused to get involved in greater GOP campaign and fundraising efforts. Fucko himself pretty much told GOP candidates needing help to go pound rocks, they were on their own.

And for the huge majority of the campaign, it looked like Fucko would be no help but a liability, and some of the slightly less reactionary right wingers tiptoed away from him. And Fucko took down names.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Please, please put together your own slate of candidates and run them against the existing
    GOP, mr president

3. Starman

Yes we need an ideologically pure Fucko Party.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is really something that Trump's approval/disapproval is pretty much unchanged from when it came out that he asked Comey to lay off Russia. The Don Jr. meeting - the verification that it isn't a made up story, and everything else since then - like health care - hasn't changed his ratings a lick.

He might not have America - but he has enough of the GOP to target some people if he focuses on reliable GOP seats. I'd go after Cruz, Flake and Corker.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Donald Trump has also ventured into gambling and professional football and says he could negotiate a nuclear disarmament treaty with the Soviet Union."

That's Roger Mudd of NBC News back in the '80s. Not sure which documentary I saw that in, but I think it's from the same one in which Trump talked about why his style of marketing of his brand sells. "I don't know why; it just does," is my recollection of the gist of his response.

Edited to add:

Found it. It's from "The Eighties," episode 8, "Greed is Good." Right after the Mudd quote above, there's a clip that starts with Mike Wallace talking over shots of Trump properties.

"They say he's land-hungry, money-hungry, power-hungry."

Trump: "The power's nonsense. I love the creative process."

Wallace: "What about the name of Trump City, Trump Tower we're sitting in, Trump Plaza, Trump Castle?"

Trump: "It sells, Mike. All I know is ..."

Wallace: "That's all it is?"

Trump: "It has nothing to do with the ego. All I know is it sells."

Nothing particularly earth-shattering in there, but like a lot of coverage of Trump from the '70s and '80s, it helps round out impressions of him since he started losing his mind.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I wonder if the bit about "not protecting their President" means that he's gotten some warnings about pardons (particularly for himself) or firing Mueller.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We're going to need more popcorn, Neutral Corner.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Starman

Somebody told him to Be Careful.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'll believe his juvenile whining when I see the House impeach and the Senate convict. Until then, I won't believe Republicans have the courage to oppose their guy in any meaningful way.

11. Starman

He keeps pushing the envelope deeper and deeper to see how far he can go.

All we can hope is he doesn't kill us all before enough GOPs look in the mirror and say,

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to do too much to stay in power. If he simply stays out of the Mueller investigation, he skates. Even if that investigation finds that he gave the Russians confidential material he received after winning the nomination but before taking office, the GOP won't touch him. It knows it won't have to. Gerrymandered districts in the House and voter suppression everywhere ensure majorities in both chambers for years if not decades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.