1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every town in New England has a memorial to its Civil War dead. Such memorials in the states that went Confederate are entirely appropriate. Everyone deserves to mourn and remember. But the statues of Davis, Lee, Beauregard, etc. are a different matter.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The white's only ceremony to dedicate the statue to Jeff Davis in New Orleans and the Stone Mountain monument - funded by the KKK - agree: The South did not put up statues of Confederate war heroes as an embrace of segregation.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you ask a FCC commissioner to communicate, he might have the government's gun thugs rough you up.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be a perfectly reasonable inside news brief. Not an hour-long teevee show preceded by at least half a day's wall-to-wall hyping.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how many King George III statues there are in the US. Thomas Gage? William Howe ? Charles Cornwallis? John Burgoyne? Plenty of Tories in the colonies and later the States in the late 18th century.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

General Benedict Arnold won some stirring battles in the Revolutionary War. Where are the statues for him?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

These things always wander way the hell off the rails. My only argument w.r.t. the Jeff Davis bit is that his lionization, via the emergence of the "Lost Cause" myth, doesn't embed naturally in a "segregationists vs. not" narrative. History doesn't play out in such neatly tied bundles.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

To be fair, his father was involved with politicians, but I don't recall him taking on such an activist role. But taking a hard conservative stance seems to be required of those involved in big religion nowadays, despite those pesky words in the Bible about helping the poor, etc.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Meh, I won't belabor the argument, but I don't buy the idea that being a conservative cannot be reconciled with Biblical imperatives re: "the least of these"

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I absolutely believe it can be. I hope American conservatism gets around to it one of these days

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

JFC, have two father-in-laws ever been neck and neck in the scumbag department like these two?

Draft saved Draft deleted