1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

A couple of blocks from Lincoln Center too I believe.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

From how that blurb was worded - the money wasn't used to retain jobs - I kind of assume the $2.1M loan was granted and maybe went to paying the rent they owed at the hotel, and probably vendors. It also strikes me as kind of chump change cronyism, but that's completely on brand for Trump and associates. It's more of your standard, low level grift to me, like how in local politics the guy that contributes to the mayor's campaign suddenly doesn't have as many issues with the zoning board.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There have always been luxury restaurants on Central Park South and West. And they go out of business regularly because the rent is too damn high and there are a surplus of Manhattan luxury restaurants for the even in Manhattan limited customer base of people who'll drop $500 on dinner for two.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not like I ever ate at Triomphe, but from what I've been told it wasn't a dinner for two that came anywhere near meriting the prices.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was the French onion any good?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If you're going to the opera in Lincoln Center - or the Philharmonic or the ABT or Alice Tully, etc., the place to eat is Gray's Papaya.

The Recession Special is 6.95 for two dogs and a medium papaya drink.

Uptown Menu

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's the rub. People interested enough in food to drop that kind of dough on dinner know enough about food to tell good from excellent from superlative and for that dough, they want superlative, as they should.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s been a while since I was by there, but wasn’t Jean-Georges in that hotel? Odd that they would have two French places there.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Try the veal. It's the best in the city.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was Jean-Georges. Was incorporated under Triomphe Restaurant Corp. I was confusing the name with the restaurant called Triomphe (French restaurant) that used to be down by Bryant Park, but was thinking about the Jean Georges restaurant off the lobby in Trump International. Never ate at either, FWIW.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Two things, one for each tweet here.

1. I cannot disagree with what Popehat says.
    2. The ongoing incompetence of Sidney Powell is something that mental health professionals should check into … and legal professionals should review her past work.

maumann likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What is the best way to get someone out of a cult? An intervention? Do we have to do 74 million interventions? Where’s Dr. Drew when you need him?

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.