1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I don’t have a formal diagnosis, but I’m 99% sure my father has NPD. He has become more and more Trump-like as he’s gotten older (he practically worships the guy) and his selfish behavior and tantrums led to my mom choosing to divorce him last year after nearly 50 years of marriage. His behavior has also strained our family relations to the point we can’t really talk to him anymore without it devolving into his grievances against us for various things across the years, without any acknowledgment or understanding of his role in any of it.

And still, even despite it all, I can’t help but feel a bit sorry for people like that, with absolutely no self-awareness nor ability to break out of their self-imposed prison. Narcissists absolutely ruin lives and relationships with their unrepentant assholish behavior, but it’s as if a part of their brain never developed enough to learn empathy (or at least, to realize it’s not just a put-on) and sadly, never will. While their behavior is infuriating, it’s really also just sad how their inability and unwillingness to change has harmed my family and so many others with narcissists in them, and in a similar way how Trump has harmed our democracy as well.

OscarMadison, Tighthead and maumann like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curious about the Senate races and ads people are seeing. Are they all pretty candidate specific? Are Republicans getting hammered on the impeachment vote? We don't have a competitive race out this way - and the incumbent is a D. I really thought if nothing else, the GOP would make keeping the Senate a priority and they're pissing it away, struggling in states they have no business struggling in. Some swing states it just comes down to when someone is elected - a big turnout Presidential election gets Ds elected, but when turnout fades in a midterm six years later, they lose. But this year is insane.
    They Rs are kind of stuck. Run "against" Trump and the MAGAs turn on you and you lose. Run "with" Trump and everyone else turns on you.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

In Georgia, Ossoff is hammering Perdue on continually lying about the seriousness of COVID from an internal meeting in early spring while profiting from selling and buying stock. The other attack ad is about hundreds of female workers suing Perdue for equal wages. Nothing really about the impeachment, because that wouldn't move the needle here.

On the other hand, Perdue is throwing the usual "left wing anarchy" stuff: gonna take away your guns, raise your taxes, let dangerous illegal immigrants kill you while you sleep, defund police so little old ladies will be attacked, close hospitals, rape your daughters, let livestock roam freely on the streets, etc. Every day, we get a mailer with the faces of Pelosi, Bernie and AOC in the background. "Ossoff associates with these kinds of people!!!"

Republicans have played the whole "world is going to hell" card for so long that now that it has gone to hell, the boogeyman turns out to be them.

I'm still stunned that a former governor and incumbent can't put Ossoff away. That just shows the overwhelming anger of the populace as a whole.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think the Dems will take the Senate, but I feel that in a lot of those tight races it’ll be like Beto, Abrams and Ossoff the last time — close but no cigar.

maumann likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The only Senate ads I've seen here are for Jeanne Shaheen in New Hampshire and they are relentlessly positive ads in which constituents tout her good works for locals -- as befits a big favorite 15 points up in the polls.
    PS: Today the Manchester Union-Leader, New Hampshire's biggest paper, endorsed Biden. This is akin to Mother Jones endorsing Trump.

wicked likes this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No one who confirms Barrett has a future in American politics.

TowelWaver and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not quite Mother Jones. Last time that paper endorsed Gary Johnson. It's fair to say that the starting point was probably that were not ever going to endorse Donald Trump. The question then became, "Can we endorse Hilary Clinton over him?" The answer was no. After four years of endless BS, "Can we endorse Joe Biden over him?" was probably a resounding yes.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Our choice is Joe Biden*

Nackey and William Loeb are probably rolling over in their graves after that endorsement. 2016 was the first time the Union Leader endorsed a non-Republican. These are strange times.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The problem isn't the catastrophic failures of the Trump Administration. The problem is Aaron Rupar.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not even a good little bit of crap from Mark Meadows.

OK, we can't control it, but we have to mitigate it to make sure people don't die.

How the fuck can you say that when there is academic work out there that makes compelling estimates based on the responses of other countries compared to what our response has been, which suggests as many as 200,000 people in this country so far (it is still going up) are already dead unnecessarily because they failed so miserably in those "death mitigation" efforts?

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

No matter the outcome of next week's election, we're still either two months or four more years away from adults in the room yanking the controls away and steering us in the correct direction on basically every possible positive-negative outcome, be it mandatory mask wearing, global warming, health care reform and the like.

Projections I saw last night have us around 350,000 deaths by Feb. 1 -- and that number gets worse if masks and social distancing continue to be ignored.

If Biden wins, the White House will be laissez faire until Inauguration Day.

Driftwood, ChrisLong and TowelWaver like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.