1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

heyabbott likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Lindsay’s more of a pushee than a pusher.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Leaves far too much room for Moscow Mitch to threaten her.

And ... let's cut the crap. You think Moscow Mitch is worried for a moment about anyone else's circumstances and consequences?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Given what Republicans pulled with Garland, there is no way to do it. They simply don't care.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Second presidential election year in a row when a SCOTUS justice dies while the GOP holds the Senate....very suspicious. Very suspicious indeed. People are talking. I have been following a twitter account: "StuAnon" that reveals the whole plot. Stu is a Senate staffer who works undercover for a prominent GOP politician.

Stu says the GOP is a vicious neoconfederate cabal which will stop at nothing to further its dread purpose. Stu has made many predictions and while none of them have come true, I still believe in StuAnon. He argues that Adlai Stevenson didn't die 55 years ago, but is working with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer and will some day return to public life to bring down the grand wizard of the cabal, Donald J. Trump.

When this is all over, people will look back and ask "Who knew?" And we can answer "Stu. Stu knew." WKSSK is our call sign for those in the know.

#StuAnon

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Walking through my second Trump truck parade of the day. God help us all

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If Dems get control of the Senate, that happens on Jan. 3.

Also, the McSally-Kelly race in Arizona is a special election so Kelly could be seated by late November.

Collins has come out to say the Republicans should wait. So what happens if Mitch calls for a vote on like Halloween? Is she voting no, against a likely female nominee? Same with Romney and Murkowski, who aren't up this cycle. But Gardner is and at the end of the day, he might see the numbers and just say F it.

Or does Trump make a pick. The Senate holds hearings. No vote pre-election. After the election, they're still in control. If Collins and Gardner are voted out, what's to hold them back? Romney voted for impeachment. Murkowski could vote no.

In any event -- the way this year has gone, sure, let's throw this major monkey wrench into things.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

At least I have the satisfaction If knowing that Scalia is in hell after killing himself rather than being outed with little boys. Looking forward to Clarence Thomas’ obituary. Hope he dies choking on a dick.

thomas still doesn’t get that he’s the butt of the worlds greatest prank. Republicans to democrats: Oh you want affirmative action. Here it it, say hi to the people Clarence.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Anecdotal election research: I was up in the rural heart of Morris County NJ the other day, 20% more registered GOP than Dems, but I saw just two FATUS lawn signs. Plus, there are more new Dems, 4500 than GOP 1000, since 2016.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

She has given herself wiggle room. She only said she doesn’t think the vote should precede the election. If the vote is scheduled for October, she can — and probably will — say, “I’m not happy that the vote is taking place before the election. But that decision has been made. Now before us is the question of whether the nominee is qualified. I believe the nominee is qualified. Therefore, I will vote to confirm.”

2muchcoffeeman and TigerVols like this.
  12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The timing of it all will be something amazing to watch. There’s a hell of a lot happening here!

I’d be pleasantly surprised if Murkowski and/or Romney would do anything tangible to hold this up. They are Republicans at the end of the day and this *should* be a judge they’ll approve of.

They’ll let Collins loudly object in an attempt to distance herself from Trump and save her seat so long as they don’t desperately need her vote.

You bust your ass to win elections to make moves like the GOP is about to make. This is why cycles like 2014 mattered so much. Udall here in Co. is the prefect example, IMO. He ran a half-assed campaign. He ran one ad about Gardner saying something offensive about women and he ran it into the ground, even by election year TV ad standards. Local organizers here in Route County couldn’t even get in touch with his campaign to get material for canvassing or yard signs, so they made their own. Obnoxious at the time, but critical today.

That said, Gardner does have a hell of a choice in front of him. Does he try to play purple and win or, like you said, does he say “f it” and vote in a justice. He’d probably set himself up very well for a future in the national party if it does the latter.

MileHigh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.