1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I keep seeing variations of this. I mean, maybe you're right. But seriously: when was the last time someone ran for president, won, and then decided not to run for reelection? (Answer, since I just looked it up: Grover Cleveland, who had already served three terms.)

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Discounting LBJ?

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Technically the answer to your question is LBJ.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Also, Cleveland only served two (nonconsecutive) terms.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Biden turns 82 17 days after the 2024 Election. That's the reason. He can put everything back together again and send things down the right path but there's the natural attrition that is going to come with being 78-82, let alone having that come with doing this particular job, and it would be political suicide for the DNC to think running him in 2024 is a good idea. There is going to be a very decent-sized population that will not vote for anyone at that age to be President. I think there is a segment of that who believe he is too old now, but the alternative in Trump is far worse. And while we have no idea who the opponent will be next time around, I don't see it being someone where the risk of an 82-year old Biden outweighs that in their vote.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jesus, not my finest moment. All correct -- brain isn't working this late at night. LBJ isn't really the type of situation I was thinking of -- obviously there were wildly extenuating circumstances to his run in '64 -- but he certainly counts.

All of this makes perfect sense. It still depends on a guy who believes he is the best person to be president, who has gone through the godawful election process repeatedly, and who spent 8 years as the number two guy... to decide he's too old for another four years. It could happen, but I think it's far from a slam dunk.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Which makes Biden's VP choice that much more interesting. Who is going to want to run in a Dem primary against a sitting VP who is a black woman? Another Person of color perhaps. I have to think Gavin Newsom would be in the mix otherwise.

8. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

Causes of death in America
    January-July, 2020

Car accidents — 22,600
    Guns — 23,900
    Drugs — 41,100
    Donald Trump — 157,000

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We could help clear the planet by throwing Orange Xenu a volcano.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

We posted an article on Dr. Immanuel and her background, so you can guess what the comments devolved into. Someone posted this about Trump and all he's accomplished and if he believes all those doctors, we should to. This was their list

1. signed a bill last week lowering the cost of prescriptions
    2. Moved the Capitol back to Jerusalem for Israel.
    3. Greatest economy possibly ever before democrats decided we need to shut down everything.
    4. Lowest unemployment numbers for all races. All time low numbers you can even research that.
    5. Made abortions laws although I wish he could make it illegal.
    6. Promised to build a wall and has done so.
    7. Appointed 2 great Supreme Court justices
    8. Allowed the funding for America to return to space again.
    9. Tax Reform
    10. Did away with most of Obamacare which was killing the hospitals.
    11. Plus that 1200 dollars you got a few months back.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I give them points for trying. Most just post a meme or write trump2020

lakefront, HanSenSE and FileNotFound like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

He wanted to stop Sarah Cooper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.