1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jack Fleming
    Like This Page · 20 hrs ·

I'm not old enough to be in a political party but I have been an American citizen since I was born on may 5, 2005. This is not about the president. This is about being an American. The CEO of Goya Foods called our president a leader and like him or not that is what a president is. But because some people hate him they told every one to boycott this company. It is an American company. It is the biggest minority owned company. They have lots of minorities that work there. Even in the Coronavirus they kept over 4000 people working. They donated over a million pounds of food to food pantries in American cities for Americans who can't buy food and lots of them are minorities. A boycott of Goya does not hurt the president it hurts an American company. It also could make Americans not have jobs. It also can make hungry people not have food. A true American does not do this to other Americans. It is wrong and mean and also people have a right to free speech even if you do not like it. So I used my money and my parents gave me money to buy lots of Goya stuff and donate it to food pantries. Because I am an American and I love Americans and guess what I don't care if this food feeds democrats or republicans. We are all American and that is what should matter.
    — with #goyafoods.

[​IMG]

Fred siegle likes this.
  2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

He would have to admit he is wrong. He won't even pretend to do that with "God".

3. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

People boycott because their debit card is one small way in which they can exercise, or feel like they exercise, some influence.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

1. The kid is 14. I probably would've posted the same thing then and not understood the nuance involved.
    2. There are many high-functioning kids on the spectrum ... but he is autistic. That should be taken into account.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There's a state rep in Vermont out of Brattleboro who wants to change the town charter to let 13 year olds vote on town issues.

Towns need approval of the state legislature to change their charters.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My rebuttal to people who claim this was concocted to make Trump look bad: "Usually, a national crisis makes the President look good if not great. See: FDR during WWII and Bush during 9/11. Why didn't you have faith in your boy to think his response to this crisis would make him look good?"

lakefront, OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump 2020: This time, He Beans Business

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There's 190M FB users in the USA, but only 2,537 people who pointed out this man's hypocrisy.

Your point is?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She is truly terrible in every way. There is a very good reason that she won't go into the details. If she does that, she exposes all the ways reopening at full capacity doesn't work. Keeping it vague is the best she could come up with because the more you actually get into a detailed plan, the scarier it looks for everyone who is going to have to be on those school buses and in those schools that open this fall.

I"ve been posting about this for a while here and at the other place. I've been trying to have conversations about the challenges involved. Over there, I've been accused of wanting schools to stay closed for years simply because I understand just how difficult it is going to be to open them safely. Republicans don't want that conversation. They want us to ignore the CDC guidelines, send everybody back and count on children magically not getting sick. It's fairly similar to how President Trump has addressed the pandemic from the beginning. There is no real plan except to do whatever it takes to prop up the economy, lie about the dangers and results and make sure everyone else gets stuck with the blame.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that is the endgame for DeVos. Force public schools to reopen, then blame them for failing to protect children and use that as an excuse to push for privatizing education for the entire country. She really is that despicable.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and Regan MacNeil like this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Double naught, Jethro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.