1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Showing that she too has a liplock on Trump's hind quarters. Did everything but say "we'll have something major to announce in two weeks."

Webster likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And coming up next on Trump TV, the MyPillow Guy! ARod, perhaps?

garrow likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, I'm like sick of lower-tier celebrities like you and Der Trumpanauer having power and influence when all the doctors and scientists and teachers are treated like the jokes you are, man.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, every year should be historic turnout simply because of 3-5% increase in eligible voters. The only years it went down from the previous election were 1944 (understandable, with so many overseas), 1988, 1996 (only recorded turnout of less than 50%) and 2012.

Odd stat: Even though 2008's 129.5M votes between the top two candidates beat 2016's (128.8M), the total votes cast in 2008 (131.4M) were far below 2016's turnout (138.8M).

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It amazes me that these people think everyone on the left is wishing and praying for thousands of deaths and for millions of people to fall into poverty every day. They're the patriots!

I'm not sure how they're the patriots when they suckle at Putin's teat, but I digress.

lakefront and HanSenSE like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

After infections got out of control because of the bullshit-your-way-through the presidency / wishful thinking approach to pandemic management, you'd think even they would realize they are in Wiley E Coyote territory right now. What is so fucking hard about, "Let's try to get the infections under control. Then we can think about getting back to normal. ... because there is not going to be any semblance of normal unless we start dealing with reality instead of what an impetuous, constantly-miscalculating sleezebag's 'instincts' tell him are best for his reelection effort"?

7. BTExpress

www.facebook.com/rickrose2007

Here is a compilation of Facebook posts by this Ohio man who foolishly and proudly berated masks in April and then contracted COVID-19 and died on July 4.

I post this only to make note of the "Ha Ha" emojis following his posts.

1,103 "ha has" after he says he has symptoms and is being tested (vs. 305 "sad" emojis)
    1,869 "ha has" after he says he's in quarantine after a positive test (vs. 485 "sad" emojis)
    2,416 "ha has" after he complains how he's completely out of breath just sitting (vs. 821 "sad" emojis)
    2,537 "ha has" after his last post the day before he died (vs. 947 "sad" emojis)

I know the "I told you so!" temptation is off the charts, but people basically had three choices: Ignore it, post a sad emoji or post a laughing emoji. Three-quarters of people who chose to respond did so by laughing.

If that's not rooting for death, it's sure taking a perverse pleasure in it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    wicked likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is Wheely Unfortunate.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s just embarrassing how few people vote. Certainly many states have tried to reduce access, but I don’t understand how turnout isn’t closer to 80 percent.

lakefront likes this.
  11. BTExpress

I wonder how much Electoral College plays into that. As in, what would compel a Republican in California or Democrat in Alabama to vote (other than state races)?

lakefront likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s a fair point, but it’s not like the numbers are different in swing states.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.