1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

These weren’t private thoughts to his family. Learning what public officials say to a group of people certainly is newsworthy.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When the former president makes comments about the current president's ineptitude, it's a wee bit newsworthy. It was treated that way, of couse.

When a sitting US Senator makes a transparently misleading analogy regarding a pandemic that has killed almost 100,000 Americans so far, it's newsworthy. In that case, he was saying one thing publicly to the extent he was saying anything, but while speaking to a group that he thought would receive his comments well, he said something different. . .. .how much risk people want to assume should be an individual choice, while ignoring the obvious that each individual's choice can have devastating effects on everyone else when it comes to a deadly, contagious virus.

That kind of specious reasoning is the kind of thing a lot of people want to know when it comes to an elected leader. So, yeah, of course it made news.

Also, saying these things were "leaked" has become ridiculous in the age of Trump. He started the nonsense with his attacks on people saying true things about him. Leaker! Leaker! Like the label somehow is kryptonite that makes it so tha whatever you are labeling a leak can no longer be discussed on its merits.

I don't care if David Perdue's comments were "leaked." I want to know, was he talking that way to a group of business owners, when he wouldn't have he guts to say the same thing publicly? It's great when things like that somehow come public, because we get insight into the duplicitous behavior of a public official. Woodward and Bernstein took down a corrupt, sitting president with "leaks." It was a good thing.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    HanSenSE, garrow and Webster like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Merry Trumpmas (Pandemic Is Over)"

No more quarantine and what have you done?
    Another wave over, a new one just begun.
    And so this is Trumpmas, I hope you'll have fun,
    Because it didn't hit everyone
    The old and the young
    A very merry Trumpmas
    And a happy school year
    Without testing or tracing
    We don't know really what we're facing

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Constant fucking whining?" Give me a fucking break. MileHigh has made as many references to HIS haircut (maybe 3-4 :eek: ) as I have mine. 3-4 posts NOT whining, but just pointing out the state of things (in which we have a thread devoted to: Adaptation to a COVID World). That's where we mention what's going on, what's open, what's still closed, what we're doing to adjust, etc.

I'm sorry if my words came across as "discounting" anyone. I'm simply pointing out hotspots. Hotspots are more dangerous and need much more careful monitoring/restrictions than non-hotspots. As such, non-hotspots should not be held to the same restrictive standards. That is in no way "discounting" the places that are hotspots. At least not on my planet.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  5. The Big Ragu

BTW, this idea that liberty or freedom means every individual being "free" to do whatever they want, is not what America is about. Never has been. We shouldn't want it to be, IMO.

What David Perdue is advocating is anarchy. At least until he moves onto something else where he wants to put all kinds of restrictions on others. He's not even a very consistent person.

Our country was borne from the age of enlightenment ideas about rights and liberty. ... and a social contract. These clowns who pick and choose what everyone should be free to do (while wanting to restrict a whole bunch of other things), don't seem to understand the social contract part of it. As in everyone should be free to live their lives however they choose, up until their actions infringe on the next person, and then we need laws to protect people.

They really have perverted the words liberty and freedom in a dishonest way.

Either way, if you equate liberty with anarchy, you are not advocating American values. We have always been a nation of laws. For a reason. Laws put restrictions on us. Those restrictions keep us from infringing, or hurting, each other. As in, you are free to live how you want and you are guaranteed all kinds of rights, but the minute your actions start infringing on the next person's rights, we need to limit you.

In my opinion you should not be "free" to walk into a crowded place with other people without a mask, and you shouldn't be "free" to congretate in large groups, while the virus is still spreading. Your behavior can prove deadly for others. That is the social contract. It's not about what you want. It's about protecting the rights of everyone else.

What astounds me is that there are so many people bristling against what I am suggesting, and that we even need the government involved in regulating people's behavior with regard to this. I would have hoped more people would be informed enough, and smart enough, and considered enough, to see it as being in their self interest to contain the spread of the virus when so many people are dying every day.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You're correct, but . . .

There is a reason you're "free" to zoom down the highway at 85 mph on Texas State Highway 130, but you're not "free" to do that on Park Avenue. And it has nothing to do with Texas not caring about protecting the rights of others.

7. The Big Ragu

The virus spreads the same way in Texas as it does on Park Avenue. Put on a fucking mask when you go into a supermarket. Don't crowd into a movie theater. Don't get together with 100 people and act like Memorial Day should be the same this year as it was last year.

Mngwa likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

...and congratulations to the class of 2020

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"breaking"

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    the michigan sos was exercising her freedom and liberty but in a fraudulent way i'd guess about 6 deep state's worth

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

A public health crisis would prevent him from holding his signature shows at a crucial time in his career. When Donald Trump: Not Behind the Mask returns, a drug controversy erupts.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.