1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is no evidence, none, to support the idea Sanders does better with Independents or Republicans than Biden does, at least you have presented none. Cite polls, cite election results, cite something. But you are ignoring the main point. You have to win the nomination to get to the general election. With every advantage, including a 2-1 national poll lead after New Hampshire and Nevada, Sanders imploded in short order. He got massacred in South Carolina and then lost consistently in state after state. That's not the record of a candidate who'll do well under the fire of a general election. If you can't convince your party you're the best candidate, then you aren't, and the rest is all the shoulda-coulda-wouldas we usually get from high-seeded teams that get eliminated in the NCAA tournament at this time of year.

Fred siegle likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

New Biden ad: "Sure, we both wrecked countries, but the one I wrecked is 5,500 miles away. So there's that."

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Biden has not sexually assaulted anyone.

Fred siegle likes this.
  4. BTExpress

He stands accused. We who are woke believe the women . . . don't we?

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Are you seriously trying to sell me on the idea that Bernie would get more Republican votes than Biden?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure. And the sexual assault score now is Trump 25, Biden 1.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Both President Trump and Joe Biden have been accused. Disqualify both of them from the upcoming election!

Unless, of course, you only care about accusations when it suits your politics. Oh right. That's exactly what is going on here.

Fred siegle and Baron Scicluna like this.
  8. BTExpress

I said months ago if it was those two I'm voting for Novichok.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think I kinda have to second that. I might know the candidate preference of maybe 10% of the posters here, maybe... but I can tell you that the overwhelming stance is that Trump has to go, and whoever has the best chance of beating him will get their votes. Time after time 70% of the Dem voters wanted someone other than Bernie. He carries the same sort of stigma that Clinton did, lots of people just flat don't like the guy - and in great part it isn't about the policy, it's about the candidate himself. Many people who don't care for him feel that way after watching him for the last six years, and while they may like his message (or parts of of it), they have decided that they don't want to vote for him, and they didn't. Roughly 70% of the Dem voters voted for someone other than Bernie, and don't like the idea that the Bernie Bros think he inherits the race if Biden goes down to health or scandal. If that does happen, expect the candidate to be chosen at the convention, and don't hold your breath waiting for them to choose Bernie.

You've been persistent doing the Bernie Bro thing here, and in general you have debated and argued instead of getting on your high horse about it. In return, you have been debated and persuaded, agreed/disagreed with or ignored, depending on the stance and the individual involved. Everything has been pretty respectful, as it should be. The further you push the Bernie agenda and the more contentious that becomes, the more you are at risk of things devolving to sharp answers and disrespectful arguments.

I would add that the more the latter part of this campaign starts to resemble 2016, with Bernie hanging on and being divisive, rallying his supporters and being more concerned with his own candidacy than the goal of defeating Trump and winning the Senate, the more pissed off people are going to be about it. We saw this movie before, and Trump won. No one wants to see the sequel to that movie.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

There’s ample evidence to support the idea that Sanders does way better with Independent voters than Biden, if you’re paying attention. According to primary exit polls, he’s won people who say they identify as Independent in all but like four or five states. Here’s a sampling of that:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/exit-polls-2020-super-tuesday-primary/

I’m not saying Sanders is going to win the nomination. He won’t. I’m saying that I’d like his chances versus Trump, as opposed to Biden’s, for the reasons already mentioned.

Democrats have nominated some really shitty candidates for president in my lifetime. Each time, they thought they had a guy could win the General Election and more often than not they got destroyed. Just because the party likes one candidate over another doesn’t mean the one they nominate is in fact the best candidate in a GE.

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

You’re right. Most have been. I’ll be better.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This is nominally a sport messageboard so we look at the scoreboard. And trump is NBA quality perv. Biden is D3 JV

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.