1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which schools and teachers are doing that? Because I'm not seeing that in the social studies homework from my fifth grader. Nor am I seeing it being taught by the high school social studies/American history teacher I've known for decades.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To deny the many disturbing and downright horrible events of American history is to ignore reality. It is quite possible to describe the injustice and racist motivation of the internment of Japanese-Americans in WW2 while also describing how entering and winning the war was a good thing.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am not going to watch the debate tonight, but it seems to me Mayor Pete and Amy K's best shot is to repeat a line Lenny Bruce said about presidential elections 60 years ago. "You're gonna take a chance on a guy when Mutual of Omaha won't?"

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's funny you wrote that, because I saw several people responding to our state Game & Fish with the exact same thing. And they were serious!

G&F made a Facebook post about how the number of declining hunters and anglers was hurting conversation efforts. Fewer license sales = less money for the agency. Folks went apeshit with conspiracy theories and complaints about how "it's not right that I have to buy a license to hunt PUBLIC land."

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

(you'll have to forgive the North Idaho accent ...)

"I hate taxes. I hate gummint ... shut it all down!"

"What d'ya mean, half the lanes on the interstate are closed? How'm I spose to get to Costco?"

garrow, HanSenSE and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, the tea party take is hyperbolic and sentimental.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not from Northern Idaho. Nor have I ever said anything that sounds like "gummint." And I've never been in a Costco.

That said. ... our Federal government spent $4.45 trillion last year. That is more than twice what it spent yearly as recently as 14, 15 years before that.

The year I was born, the Federal government spent $169 billion.

Our interstate highways were arguably in better shape then than they are today.

With respect, "interstates" is a strawman. You don't see runaway (wasteful / corrupt) spending, and blow through close to $4.5 trillion dollars in a year (while running huge deficits), because you are maintaining highways.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Consider, for a moment, the amount of rhetorical investment you just put into two halves of one thing. (And frankly, not even one thing, because the internment was, yes, morally wrong, but also unnecessary and untethered to winning in the Pacific theater, which, as we know, was won with an atomic bomb, not a victory of hearts and minds or through battle attrition.)

Yes, indeed, winning the biggest, bloodiest war in human history was a good thing.

To be clear, I'm not some American exceptionalist. Far from it. But the collective bellyaching from either side of the political spectrum has, as a joint purpose, total intransigence. And the violence around us - be it on smaller-yet-tragic scales in drug wars or larger, more devastating scales with lone, often racist gunmen - is a commentary, to some degree, on the erosion of our interest in general, common good. Our interests and grievances have become so siloed that we've begun to develop one of those flow charts where, just to get to larger civic consensus, we have to check off the wants and concerns of 17 different interest groups, often taking the emotional temperature of folks I wouldn't trust make three square meals in a day.

Here's where that gets the Democratic Party: So clueless about what it wants or can even agree upon that a super billionaire, who hasn't even been in a debate yet and has repudiated many stances he held in his last political role, has a real chance of winning a nomination on sheer...advertising dollars? The party of the poor, aggrieved and put upon is going to pick...that guy? Who's the opposite of everything they are?

How shallow and nakedly transparent a power grab would that be? After years of calling for a deep American conversation on our collective, in-some-cases-centuries-old atrocities, years of lecturing moral lessors on the various tyrannies of rich, entitled, lecherous men, the plan might come down to anointing - then leveraging - one of the richest, more lecherous of these men to wave his big money wand over the country?

Tho independent, I've long caucused with the blue side, and almost surely will again, in part because I can size up a cynical, pragmatic decision for what it is and can see, clearly, Donald Trump just grinds government more to a halt. But if Bloomberg is the byproduct of the great progressive awakening, his ascension would render it largely a fraud.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

#Resist costs money, yo.

heyabbott and Tarheel316 like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I can't help but think that the Sanders campaign has made a reasoned decision that what whatever is in his post-heart attack medical record is worse for the campaign than dealing with the daily attacks over Sanders' promise to release them and then refusing to do so. Calls for them are not going to go away.

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.