1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"He's running on his own money", yes, but the bad part of the "elite business leaders" falling in behind Bloomberg is that he's pulling in many people who would normally be donating big money to the DNC or to other candidates. I think that potentially weakens the rest of the field substantially.

2. Neutral Corner

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Stall around for 11 more months, the new Hammer Of The Gods DOJ comes in, then ship his ass off to prison.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Big-timers like that spread the money around to hedge all their bets. It's why it was no surprise Bloomberg gave big to Democrats in 2018 but also had fundraisers for Republicans. Business is business.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Big-timers, as you called them, will wait to see who is going to get the nomination and then back the winner. They aren't ideologues. They want to buy influence.

In the case of that Committee for Mike, the people mentioned in that article were more a collection of older, eclectic weathly people than they were "elite business leaders." Even John Mack is kind of a caricature of the Mack the Knife persona he was lugging around 20 years ago. The others were a socialite, a Tisch (of course he's buddies with Mike Bloomberg), and a collection of other 70-somethings who made some money doing entrepreneurial things. The average age on that list was about 78. It struck me as a list of bored semi-retired people who are looking for a project.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  6. Michael_ Gee

Except for the money, that's me!

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wish he's use .0001% of his money to hire up an army of organizers who can generate thousands of people to show up and protest at every public event Trump and Co. hold between now and (stolen) election day. Hand out free t-shirts, buy up advertising to promote the events, and get the protests rolling so the media has something else to talk about than just to parrot whatever idiotic thing Trump says at each rally.

swingline, OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

There's no saying he won't once/if he loses. He really seems motivated by pure hate and scorn, two powerful forces in human affairs.

9. Neutral Corner

Flynn's sentencing recommendation has morphed over time. As more and more of his testimony was proved false, the prosecutors escalated. Then Flynn dumped his attorneys, claimed that he had been improperly represented and that the two or three separate times he pled guilty in front of a judge who asked "Is this your plea? That you are guilty to X, and you admit it and give testimony in exchanged for a lesser sentence?" don't count. He's going for getting off entirely when everyone knows he pleaded guilty, and predictably, the prosecutors (except for Barr) don't think much of that.

I think that Flynn's previous attorneys have been cleared to testify about the lies he told them as they constructed his defense, so that they can show that they represented him in good faith. That really will hang him on the fence, if they talk about what he admitted to them and where he lied.

The big question is will Trump be able to hold off until after the election to pardon Flynn and Roger Stone. Here's hoping he gets impulsive.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So ... the same POS who has wasted money on goodness knows how many vanity and other useless projects is willing to withhold $15.5M in an attempt to make the U.S. military around the world less informed?

When my family was stationed overseas, we would have been lost without the PS&S. Granted, they finally installed a satellite during my stay, but that didn't help much with live news. And while this took place years before the internet, it's still a quality media outlet ... which explains the stupidity of this move given the mental capacity of the source.

This will reduce the odds of FAKE NEWS!, right?

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, yes to your first question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.