1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

For what it's worth, AllSides.com, whose rankings of the outlets I'm familiar with generally seem reasonable to me, rates the Register as centrist. For context, here are its ratings of some other newspapers:

Left - NYT opinon, SF Chronicle, NYDN, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

Leaning Left - NYT news (not opinion), WaPo, Boston Globe, AJC, Philadelphia Inquirer, Miami Herald, Sacramento Bee, Chicago Sun-Times

Center - WSJ news (not opinion), Chicago Tribune, Houston Chronicle, Dallas Morning News

Leaning Right - WSJ opinion, Boston Herald, Orange County Register, Richmond Times Dispatch, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Washington Examiner, Washington Times

Right - New York Post

Here's the overall list, which includes lots of magazines and websites that seem to skew more to the extremes than the newspapers do:

AllSides Media Bias Ratings

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Leaning right? The Washington Examiner? LEANING right?

Invalidates the entire list, really.

Jesus_Muscatel and BadgerBeer like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As I said on mt Facebook page, this administration in eight panels.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Washington Examiner and Time are not leaning they are granite right.
    WashPost is solid left. Leaning hard edt as a metro paper. They are close to Democrat Central Committee left on the local side. But a solid middle of the road national newspaper.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Just shows how much the Overton Window has shifted right if WSJ is considered Center.

6. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Look at the whole list, including all of the websites. I was surprised at the Washington Times (which I used to see occasionally; less familiar with the Examiner) only being a "Leans Right," as I used to think it was pretty far out there, but unless it's changed, it and the WSJ opinion page aren't as far-right as Breitbart or InfoWars. On the other end, yeah, in some ways the WaPo does seem to do more than just lean left, but it's not like Mother Jones or Jezebel, and I'm sure nothing like some I've only heard about here like Jacobin. Maybe a few more categories might have been helpful to distinguish between, say, leans left/right, left/right to the point of being partisan, and extreme left/right.

I haven't read it in years, but I was surprised to see the Economist listed as leaning left. Maybe because it doesn't understand American support for capital punishment? If anything, I would've put Five Thirty Eight to the left of the Economist, rather than the other way around.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

AND the Times, which "leans" so far right it tips over. Ronald Reagan is featured in the welcome film strip they show new employees

garrow and Regan MacNeil like this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just a little headache for the foreign service, right?

9. goalmouth

Thanks for fucking voting!

10. goalmouth

Disagree. Pompeo is PERFECTLY suited to be a FATUS lackey

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Shift the whole spectrum about two slots over to the right.

There are no legitimate "liberal" outlets in American mass media. None. At most there are some centrist sources which occasionally pay lip service to liberal themes -- usually followed up immediately by self-flagellating bothsiderism.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Post op-ed page deliberately has writers from every possible slice of the political spectrum. Hard to see Hugh Hewitt or Marc Theissen as lefties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.