1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There was some talk about Beau of the Fifth Column the other day. I watch pretty much all the videos. This might be the best one to date, and I encourage everyone to watch it. It hits very close to home for me. I was never in the special forces and thankfully never a Nazi, but I certainly have grown as a person over the last number of years.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

First question of the debate is a BP fastball. Which Democrat is going to say no?

4. Starman

Let's hope they line up and kick Tulsi's Trump-slurping ass into the floorboards hard and early.

"President Fatfuck will be holding his next Klan rally in Dallas Thursday night, Tulsi; you gonna be there with your knee pads and pom poms?"

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

We can walk and chew gum at the same time has replaced kick the can down the road as my
    most hated political cliche

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Jake- I hate the cliches and terminology of this era.

Others:
    -"Guardrails"
    -Optics
    -"Strong on borders"
    -"since he first came down the escalator" (like he's fuckin Zeus or something)

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How long until a candidate not named Sanders, Biden, Warren or Mayor Pete pull an Admiral Stockdale?

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Klobuchar is energized tonight. I think she knows this is her last shot

11. Starman

Since he first slid down the toilet

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You know, I thought about the idea of "am I offended?" here, and, at the end of the day, I'd suppose I say, yes, my, uh, intellectual sensibilities are offended, but not for any of the whatever you're presenting here.

I've already said I'm not against gay marriage - making it illegal. I'm not. And if you're any kind of mature Christian, you'd better damn well expect to be ridiculed, criticized, mocked, loathed, whatever. If Warren had said "you know, I'm sick and tired of Christians thinking they should be able to tell other people how to live and I couldn't care less what that person thinks," well, it's not a great answer, but I'm not offended by it. When Gee says "fuck em," hey, I know ol Gee stands.

What's offensive about Warren's answer - not, like, personally, but in that smug, disingenuous way that progressives are anymore - is that she doesn't make it a critique of Christians, but of men. Apparently unattractive men, I guess. There have been several excellent answers to the question this thread alone that would have sufficed, whether I agree with the stance or not. Your answer, for example, is a good answer. But Warren's answer was to nullify even the issue of faith and suggest anyone asking that question is a male, and a loser. Hell, it's offensive to women, if nothing else.

Again - to Chris Cuomo's credit, he didn't let her mic drop that.

"Let me ask you a follow-up."

"A follow-up. Joy kill on that. What's your follow-up?

"That's the job, that's the job."

"Uh-huh, yep."

He said she used to be a member of the Republican Party - traditionally socially conservative - and wondered if she had ever held those views.

"No I don't think so. I actually don't remember. It may have been the case. I don't have notes from when I was a little kid."

Then she referenced a song she grew up singing church and talking about the "preciousness of each and every life. It is about the worth of every human being. And I saw this as a matter of faith and saw there were a lot of different people who do a lot of different things, who look different from each other, who sound different from each other, who form different kinds of families."

It goes a little longer, and it's mostly vague pablum.

But she wasn't going to cop to actually having believed it was wrong - so she stepped around that with another joke - then said her moral support for gay marriage was embedded into her (presumably Christian) faith.

I think what's offensive - intellectually - is that it's just a lot of bullshit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.