1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trade wars are easy to win.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

How tone deaf can a person be? What a jackass.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Nice of him to wear the brown shirt tho.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I believe his election was close last time. Hopefully the good people in his Iowa district can boot this disgusting piece of trash out of office next time.

7. Della9250

He won by about 10,500 votes

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Liars see, liars do

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sad inverted wharton trombone

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

King could be the physical identical twin of an asshole publisher I once worked for.

11. Della9250

I'll take someone misreading data than just making stupid shit up

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Apologies to @Alma and @Azrael. I started out on my tablet, lost an argument with the quote feature, and here I am with no quote tags.

About the Vonnegut piece... The leveling of human potential is, at least to me, a frightening peek into DJT's mindset toward anything he cannot do or at least lay claim to doing better himself. A state-run media that kneecaps creativity and dumbs down its content and in turn does the same to its consumers is a vision of the America we are heading toward.

While it's arguable the powers that be in Harrison Bergeron are trying to sedate the masses... (and no, Harrison himself is NOT a Trump stand in!) The effort to make everyone feel good by making them exist at a specific, very low baseline, speaks to a similar effort, only in reality, it is to comfort one person. All of this is about assuaging Trump, who points his fingers at "the Elites."

A quick sidebar here:

I have a friend who was on one of Trump's shows.* **
    That person told me it early on it was pretty clear no one was to be taller, better lit, smarter, faster, anything than the Trumps, especially Donald. In fact, Barron was forbidden to show something he learned because Trump interpreted it as his son getting one over on him. I mean, come on. You wouldn't let your kid tell you a joke or show you a prank they learned?***

We talked about this earlier this year. I mentioned that Trump unloaded all manner of abuse on Piers Morgan when he was a contestant. Morgan still seems to fanboy Trump. Is he that charismatic and smart? What am I missing.

"He said, "No. It seems like there's a personality type that latches on to him as a positive avatar."

Wow.

I bring this up because it seems like he has a fear and loathing of accomplishment, natural gifts, and human fragility. It's easier to declare that low baseline and "own" anyone whose strengths and gifts exceed it than to deal with his own abilities.

I may hitting everywhere but the point I'm trying to make.

And I need to reread Dune.

*No.
    ** And no.
    ***I am still oh, so very sorry to the waitress in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, who witnessed my nephew doing the eyestab/coffee creamer trick for my date. (It's a long story. Just..no.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.