1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, this sudden rush of concern is because the current president declared this issue an emergency.

Trump is an asshole. You know it. We all know it. Obama never insulted the undocumented immigrants, never called them rapists and criminals. He wasn't perfect,, but he wasn’t an asshole about it either. That’s the difference.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure.

That the folks most "offended" by this are the same ones who told us Obama had FEMA building concentration camps for the day he'd cancel the election and declare martial law undermines the point somewhat.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That’s some mighty fine gaslighting.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's not what gaslighting means.

Gaslighting means deceiving someone in order to convince them they're going crazy.

From the movie 'Gaslight,' 1944.

Gaslight+2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

And that is what you are trying to do. You are pulling the “if you disagree with me, I will insinuate you are wrong because reprehensible people said something similar.” You are trying to get someone to change their mind by making them think their ideas must be crazy.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not.

I'm noting how language is often held hostage to ideology.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The military folks I follow aren't entirely convinced Iran could shoot down a drone operating at 30,000 feet.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The US isn't the only country where empty boasting is a thing.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: The concentration camp debate

Does this mean we shouldn't refer to Andersonville as one? More than 13,000 of the 44,000 Union soldiers held there died. We're talking 100 per day. And the commander of the camp was tried and executed for war crimes.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The facilities being operated at the US border are concentration camps in every definition of the term. Of course Republicans don't like the term. As we've seen here, many other Americans don't because it makes them very uncomfortable. To which I say, good. BTW, Trump administration argued in federal court yesterday that an order stating the camps must be clean and sanitary did not mean they had to give detained children soap, toothbrushes or bedding. But don't call them concentration camps!

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.