1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't think so much hung up on her, no. I'd like to see the Democrats take the executive and legislative branches back, to be honest. That a handful of freshmen congresspeople could legitimately throw a wrench into that for being the millennials they are would be...greatly unfortunate.

In college sports parlance, I feel like the Democrats are the coach who wants to pump team GPA and service projects when, at this point. it'd be nice to win some conference championships.

Some of my perspective changes with the company at hand. This place is perpetually hung up on Trump. I have no interest in posting memes and Twitter feeds. Frankly, I'm far more interested in the men and women I'm about to vote for, vs. the one I know I'll vote against. But to each their own. There's only one political thread here, so conversation about Democrats must be mingled with the hourly Trump stuff. Maybe there should be two threads. Considering the thread is called "President Trump" I can see how, you know, political topics outside of obsessing over him get a sideways glance.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

It's so weird how people interested in politics pay attention to what the Chief Executive of the United States is up to.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Pelosi is really good at old-school, counting-the-votes politics, and she's been really good at handling Trump since becoming Speaker again.

But she's also like a pro coach who can handle a veteran team but not the young rookies. She doesn't understand the new generation and instead of mentoring them behind closed doors she rebukes them publicly, thinking it will score political points. Where that's a problem is, A) it won't win over conservatives who already hate her, and B) pushes away young Dems who she and the party need on her side and to vote in 2020. It makes no sense to me. Schumer's doing the same thing in the Senate, it seems.

It's not just AOC, either. It's the same thing with Omar (who needs some freaking allies right now, by the way), and, perhaps, Omar said it best on Colbert:

“I think Nancy knows this very well. Women have been told to go slow and not be seen and not be heard for many years. And she wouldn’t have made it to where she is if she did. ... We are not there to be quiet, we are not there to be invisible. We are there to follow the lead of people like Congressman John Lewis and make good trouble.”

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Schumer's different than Pelosi. For one thing, there are relatively few Senators under 45. For another, when it comes to Middle East policy, he's a true believer that Israel can do no wrong and that criticism of its government is actually morally wrong.He's completely sincere and increasingly out of touch with how opinion on his prize issue is evolving within the mass of Democratic voters. Foreign policy issues generally just aren't as important in the House scheme of things.
    What Pelosi doesn't want is her own version of the Freedom Caucus making her life the hell it was for Boehner and Ryan. There's very very little chance of that (her count of the votes last night was correct) as long as Trump is President, but if a Democrat wins next Niovember, the risk will go up.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. DanielSimpsonDay

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually Trump does do that. He tries things, a great many of which fail, and if he can't extricate himself from his failure, he tries sticking a different name on it and selling it to a new group of new suckers.

He also has kept doing exactly that as president. For example, his USMCA is essentially the same exact thing as NAFTA. Seriously. They shuffled a few deck chairs around, but it is essentially same "deal" (he has made me hate that word). He put a new name on something and keeps trying to convince everyone that he brilliantly made it better, that it is bringing in oodles of money that it isn't (it isn't even in effect), etc.

He's a con man. I understand that people are gullible by their nature, and they are prone to being taken by Harold Hill types, but after how many years of his BS, all the stupid tweets, the "caught in a lie" moments, even the most gullible people out there have to see him for what he is, even if there are people who aren't honest enough to acknowledge it out loud.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

i thought this was called private equity

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Contextually, this board has never been so interested in the hour-by-hour actions of a president as this iteration as it relates to Trump.

Which, I get.

But, again, a desire to not add to that - and choose to talk about Democrats instead - is not, in itself, indicative of any support of Trump. I just choose to focus elsewhere.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Nancy gonna go ahead and alienate younger voters by picking on the cool kid. Remind me again how well that worked out in 2016.

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.