1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Good post, 3OF.

I haven’t had time to read up on this much yet, but what you’ve said in the post above suggests to me a partial answer to something that has been bugging me - why do these horrible acts keep happening, with seemingly increasing frequency and often with larger death tolls (sadly, like it's a competition to be the worst)?

We’ve had machine guns and malfunctioning people.

I’m becoming convinced that these kinds of shootings are partly an awful side effect of the Information Age - the availability of information through the Internet. Spun into that are multiple factors of being able, with little effort, to read up on prior cases, study how the crimes were committed, see photos, glamorize over them, and follow the coverage that makes them notorious. Then add in human malfunction and weapons (and if it weren’t guns, it would be something else - bombs, poisons, some technology of death), and you have a horrendous recipe.

I’m not even sure some cases are meant to be terror - could just be someone wanting to become infamous and have a high kill count. The stacks of bodies could just be a byproduct. Yes, usually a group is targeted. But in some of these cases, like Vegas, the goal could be just to commit an act where there is a predictably large number of people.

Anyway - some of what I’m saying isn’t really anything new. Newspapers, then radio and TV, were around for a long time before the Internet.

Just watched Roads To Memphis and it followed how King’s and Ray’s paths crossed. Ray used a transistor radio, TV and newspapers to plan his attack.

Today, human mobility and the almost effortless ability to obtain both information and weapons seem to be drivers behind what are very disturbing trends.

Just a few random thoughts.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Here, bat this one around ...

[​IMG]

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Odd words coming from someone who started the Cold War five years earlier. :)

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

not odd if you understand it, only odd if you miss the point

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If you look he gets two punches

Sea Bass likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I was responding to a post asking why anyone cares what he wrote or said. I do think most of the interest in his manifesto is rooted in two things:

>>People are fascinated by evil and any content about it does wicked traffic numbers on the Web. So does content about Trump. So the media’s gonna examine it.

>>yes, politics. it’s an opportunity- a good one, frankly, one I wouldn’t pass up if I were a pol - to tie a president to a growing, hideous, worldwide movement of white supremacy. I’m even comfortable tying him to that, to some degree.

What the guy did is beyond awful. But I don’t think a dissection of his views serves as a future deterrence. Maybe I’m wrong about that. Maybe, in this nutbag’s philosophy, there’s a roadmap that prevents future mass murders. Maybe the impeachment of Trump stops future killings in their tracks.

If we want to talk about why white supremacy is on the rise, I think Trump’s a part of the conversation, but not the entirety of it.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

lone nut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.