1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

To be honest I haven't got stoned in the morning in 33 years. At night every now and then but not the morning. But I think on my first summer vacation day I might just spend it buzzed all day. And I will not let Charlie ruin it.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Jeff Zucker will kill us all.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It will be interesting seeing how different this race will be for Bernie. I think he has a solid 17 percent of the Dem vote right now that isn't going anywhere. He'll probably face tougher challenges to his policies than he did in '16 and as much as people complained he didn't get the coverage or was treated seriously by the media - such coverage and scrutiny this time around might not always be favorable.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Impossible to tell how things will shake out until name recognition of the other candidates starts to rise closer to Sanders' level. 17 percent isn't a bad guess, though.
    PS: Political science research finds that in elections with large fields, voter preferences are weaker and more fickle, thus making polling both less predictive and way more volatile.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Obstruction of justice cases are good and easy to win.

Sea Bass and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

True enough, but I'd think that we're looking at two or more credible black candidates through at least the first part of the campaign. Bernie is going to be lucky to hang around 15% in the early going, although that will likely keep him at in least through the first months. He may lose some of that to Kamala or Booker.

8. Neutral Corner

Those pesky recusals.

President Trump reportedly asked former acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker late last year whether the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, a Trump ally, could take over the investigation into money paid to two women who alleged they had affairs with the president, among other subjects.

The New York Times reported that Trump requested that U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman be put in charge of the investigation that has since resulted in jail time for former Trump attorney Michael Cohen, even though Berman recused himself from the probe.

Trump wanted top ally in charge of Cohen probe: report

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

If this is really going to be an attempted defense of Trump, it's going to be hilarious to watch.

Trump’s New Defense: Can’t Investigate Him Because There Are Too Many Crimes

"In other words, Trump can’t be investigated because he is such a massive crook. The president could function when he was defending one private lawsuit and one financial investigation, but not when he is defending a series of elaborate global rackets. It’s just a simple matter of time management. Trump can’t do his job if he has to defend all these crimes."

"It seems awkward that the rationale for this double standard is that the president is just too darn busy to cooperate with any investigations — even Rivkin and Foley say, to turn over his tax returns. It seems especially unfair that the too-busy defense should be made on behalf of a president who has a policy of holding no meetings before 11 a.m., who binge-watches hours of cable television and frequently livetweets his responses, who visits his golf clubs constantly and who recently shelled out $50,000 for a golf simulator for the White House."

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

FBI, DOJ can't investigate him because he's committed too many crimes

Can't initiate the 25th because of his alarming public behavior

Can't prosecute him for actions he's committed in full public view ("Russia, if you're listening"), Lester Holt interview -- potential jurors would presume he was guilty before any trial even started

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.