1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is so much about a deal for the wall that Trump needs, but a "rallying cry" to stir up his base. He didn't start in hot and heavy with The Wall until his NFL owner buddies told him to back off on the Kaepernick stuff. He always needs a foil, someone his supporters can focus their rage on. Trump tends to attack where he is weakest - he failed in his attempt to get an NFL team and bailed on Vietnam - therefore wrap yourself in the flag and attack the NFL. You import hundreds of undocumented workers to work on your properties - therefore talk about being tough on immigration and building a wall.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

America's dealmaker deluxe!

heyabbott likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I would suppose BDS for Israel is thought of in the same way divestiture was for South Africa.

It's a way to leverage world opinion to influence internal policy.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

By day, Donald J. Trump is a bigoted couch potato, by night he becomes STUPORMAN!

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Thought of by who?

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

By the people in favor of it?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Neat. Is the situation materially the same as South Africa?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think so, but BDS supporters apparently do.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

On the apology: It would have been good had it not had the "at the same time" caveat attached to it. Especially when she compared AIPAC to the NRA. When you apologize unequivocally, you don't usually add a "at the same time, I'm still right" kind of graf to it.

Beyond that, the tweets were such an unenforced error on Twitter. She doesn't even need to be active on Twitter. (Neither does the President, but he's established, quite clearly, his maturity level in the whole process.) It speaks to the influence of social media on many younger politicians, particularly progressives. You're in Congress. All those thousands of smart, disaffected 37-year-olds on Twitter would love to have her platform and way of addressing problems in America. She doesn't need it. Yet there she was, making dumb tweets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.