1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Trump probably got more joy from that letter and messing with her plans than anything else this month (except the burgers). It’s what he lives for.

Stoney likes this.
  2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. And, as noted, she kinda gave it to him by playing right into his hands.

This is an episode where it's fair to think one more politically adept probably should've seen it coming and taken action to avert. Unfortunately, she missed it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Has this been mentioned yet?

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pelosi acted appropriately. No government no SOTU at Congress She also should have cancelled the damn trip. And made fun of Melania deserting her ‘husband’.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Holy shit, did this go underappreciated. I just about coughed up a lung.

8. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I never called you "the right". You just happened to parrot one of the right's latest talking points. Take this as you will but it is a stupid fucking point. Trump is an idiot, I know we agree on this. But if Mitch would bring anything to a vote it would pass. But Mitch won't do it. Trump agreed on a deal but Rush/Sean told him "NO!!!" so here we sit. But Pelosi is the person that is tone deaf. This is a fucking bizarro world we live in.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, sorry, but yeah, you basically did. I was the one who made the comment that you seemed to attribute to "the right." Which was utter bullshit.

If anything I've said in in the last few pages reflects a "talking point", I can assure you I was unaware of it. They are independent thoughts I actually believe, unaffected by what either tribe suggests we should believe. It's a means of political communication I've been trying to abide by for awhile now, and I'd like it if others tried the same.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So you legitimately believe Pelosi's cancelled trip is going to play poorly for her? With whom?

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

For her? As in HER political base in Northern California? Of course not. But that's not really the relevant question, is it?

I'd kinda like to think these questions should be analyzed on the basis of what's best for the political future of the country as a whole, not just Nancy Pelosi's personal ambitions. And, in terms of the areas where our political future seems to be determined these days (namely swing states mostly in middle America) this episode won't play well for her.

But, FWIW, I don't think it'll end up making much of any difference either way. I think this is mostly a non-story soon to be forgotten. But we'd be better off if Nancy only had the good sense to postpone the trip on her own instead of letting Trump one up her this way.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You're following the narrative that this is all a sporting event and Trump just "one-upped" her. I admit I don't run the entire gamut of political news coverage, but your opinion on this particular issue (SOTU vs. Pelosi's trip) definitely is one I haven't seen elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.