1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/29/in-russia-nostalgia-for-soviet-union-and-positive-feelings-about-stalin/

For instance, in Ukraine, just 20% of adults under 35 see the Soviet collapse as a bad thing, while 40% of those ages 35 and over do.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Adults under 35" were 7 years old --- or younger --- when the USSR collapsed. They have zero knowledge of it. And what little they do remember was Gorbachev's wrecking of it.

It's like asking me what I thought of the Cuban missile crisis. Well, I was 18 months old. I probably cried a lot. So I guess it was a bad thing.

And what that has to do with how Crimeans view their present situation vs. the one they were rescued from . . . I have no clue.

But let's go to the videotape anyway.

1991 Soviet Union referendum - Wikipedia

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You can end this kidnapping simply by paying the ransom!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Smallpotatoes and YankeeFan like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The fantastic unreliability, especially in Eastern Bloc countries with no history of democracy, of "are you better off now?" questions.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just face it.

The United States cares nothing about the happiness of anyone . . . unless it's on the United States' terms. Period.

We want Saddam . . . gone. We want Gaddafi . . . gone. We want Assad . . . gone.

Whether what replaces them is a clusterfuck 10 times worse for the people who have to live there . . . we don't care.

HC and RickStain like this.
  7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We want Obama . . . gone.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure where I disputed any of that.

Also not sure that defending Russia's cynicism along those exact lines is much of an argument in its favor.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And those terms were continued and easy access to Middle East oil uninterrupted by external terrorism and Islamic religious wars. We need that free flow of oil not on,y for the US but for the economic allies of the US. We need to trade and participate in the world economy

He republican isolationist economic theory is to disentangle the US from alliances and allies and trade partners. Isolationism as a policy and self sufficiency as an economic model. Total failures. Ignorant. And just wrong.

It’s ok to be self interested if you know how to be self interested, the current administration and ruling party is not America first. The trump’s are in it for personal gain. As does Mitch McConnell. The rest are just undereducated morons.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I read that board from time to time. There are a lot of people over there that I like and I miss. I post there once in a while, yes. And I've seen you over there bragging about stirring up shit over here, or I wouldn't have said it.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

When I traveled in Eastern Europe, in the early 2000s, I would ask people if life was better than it was under communism. Nobody said it was. Everyone said: “It’s different.”

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That’s interesting. I spent a week in Croatia in 2017. Most of the people I spoke to had fond memories of Tito even though he was a dictator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.